Skip to main content
Topic: 1st post (Read 2949 times) previous topic - next topic

1st post

As most of you have probably noticed, I've been lurking around the forum for about a half a year or so. I hope no one minded, i just wanted to check it out a while before i actively joined in.

So here it goes. I've owned my 87 cougar since about 89 and stored it away for the last 7 years. I've been remodeling our 2nd house in that time, and pushing off restoring my cat. now the time has come, only to find out that its been rusting away to nothing in my garage

here's some pictures of what i have left after all that waiting.
Keep in mind I live in Buffalo NY. "THE SALT CAPITOL OF THE WORLD"
Its probably the only city where the blacktop is still white in early june.

http://www.daminc.myjalbum.net/

I know there was some rust before, but I didn't expect that.

Apparently my garage floor isn't sealed and soaks up water like a sponge. I may as well been parked it on the wet grass for 7 years.

So now, what to do.
I know i can fix it (as bad as it is) but the sight of the floor sucked the wind out of my sails.

The only reason I have to fix it would be that there's a lot of memories in that car.

My other plan is to find another project car. this time with no rust on it. and then go from there. I can always swap my interior. its almost in perfect condition.

I hope I didn't carry on to much for a first post
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

1st post

Reply #1
That really sucks man, and welcome!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

1st post

Reply #2
Wow.  That is alot of rust.  It's more fun to drive then to work on.  I suggest finding a good body and using that for parts.  For 300 dollars you could get a decent car with a blown motor.

Also I like the website.  That's some fancy stuff.  Good job on it.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

1st post

Reply #3
welcome! i sure am glad i live in the south!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

1st post

Reply #4
Thanks for the welcome
My baby was totally rust free in 98 when I repainted it and undercoated every fall. you can still see the paint and undercoating. unfortunately its now stuck to the rust on my floor of my garage as of this weekend
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

1st post

Reply #5
Rust never sleeps.  Mine is worse, but I did do as blu84302 said, and if your rear quarters are bad, I'd suggest the same.
1987 TC

1st post

Reply #6
Welcome aboard.I agree with Sleeper,I'm glad I live down south.We don't ever see rust.Come down here,grab a replacement car,and start swapping everything over.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

1st post

Reply #7
WOW I was convinced here in the good ol' "Capital Region" (Im so sick of hearing that sung in commercials.....ugh) they salted the worst. White roads in JUNE? I mean ours stay white maybe until April, maybe halfway through at worst, but thats rare.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! Sorry to hear your baby is hurtin' like that.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

1st post

Reply #8
That sucks! fix her or get another. I found that on my 88 that had the rust preventive stuff from the dealer that it was rusted out while my 84 that doesn't have the treatment it almost rust free.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

1st post

Reply #9
I'm going to be inclined to say find a donor shell.

As sad as it is, that one is toast. 

Welcome to the site.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

1st post

Reply #10
:) Welcome and your website is very cool "lots of pics" just remeber that there are always other cougars on this forum for sale. lol :cougarsmily

1st post

Reply #11
Wow, that is alot of fixin to do. But I have seen worse be fixed so get to it! Enjoy the info this board has to offer!
Brian

1st post

Reply #12
Hello:D

Chicago salts pretty bad too. The roads are white till April and the big rains wash it away. That is why I bought my T-bird form California.

Your Cougar is pretty rusty but itcan be fixed. It will cost a lot of $$$ but it can be done. The question is do you really want that particular car or would you rather start with a rust free one and swap stuff over?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

1st post

Reply #13
I agree 100% with thunderjet. There's a point of dimishing returns. Do you want to spend $5K fixing up a $2K car? My numbers may be off some, but you get the idea. The only thing you can't put a price on is emotion. If it's that important to you to have THAT car, then by all means fix it. Otherwise, bring one back from the south to work on.
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

1st post

Reply #14
Man I didn’t now salt was that bad up there some times I guess I’m naive to that fact I live in long island and just assumed it was worse by us since where near the salc00cher.
Yea I guess there is salt in the lakes and I know that’s were most of your precipitation is.

It would be nice if you could save that car w/all the time you own her and the memories but it would probably be a lot easier to buy another and part her for its good stuff interior pretty easy to swap and tuff to find a good one so don’t get rid of her yet. And if your going to redo a car go w/the 302.(big upgrade). Nice pic set-up a like that

Can’t believe it took you this long to post gotta tell you I love this website. a lot of good info and before I found it I thought I was buy my self till I found out there’s others out there w/there taste of cars. I also swear on motor tech here every now and then I go to stang sites and cause stangs are me-to cars everyone has one so the advice isn’t so good unless you now where its coming from