Skip to main content
Topic: What coolant brand/type are you guys running (Read 1180 times) previous topic - next topic

What coolant brand/type are you guys running

Wondering what coolant you are running.  Getting ready to flush mine and refill.

Can G05 be used on our cars?  If not what is a good brand, not sure about Prestone at WallyWorld.
Mike

Reply #1
Green stuff mixed 50/50 with distilled water. Works fine for me. Unless the car calls for something special I just buy Prestone or Peak and mix it with distilled water.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
I think that G05 is pretty good stuff, just not sure how it reacts with the older cars with brass and solder heater cores and radiators.
Mike

Reply #3
I buy what's cheap or on sale
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #4
Got it, whatever is cheap is fine for these cars.  Just making sure, thanks guys.

Just wondering if I could run extended coolant in these cars, without hurting the lead solder.  Never-mind.
Mike

Reply #5
My reasoning is that these cars were designed for the regular green coolant so that's what I run in them.

With the extended life coolant I would be more worried about it mixing with any old green coolant left in the engine than what it would do to copper/brass parts. If extended life coolant mixes with the regular green stuff sludge in the cooling system can be a problem.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #6
I have no problem doing a complete flush.  It sounds like everyone just sticks with the standard green, so Ill just stay with that. 

thank you.
Mike

Reply #8
I flushed it completely out and filled with new G05 Zerex.  Should be good to go for a long time.

Now I only have to worry about Dexcool for my Chevys and G05 for my fords.  That way nobody can mess it up..... hopefully. 
:)
Mike