Skip to main content
Topic: Anyone do LED's in digital dash (Read 1026 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone do LED's in digital dash

Wondering if anyone tried it in the full digital dash and how the results were.:D
Mike

Reply #1
I've thought about it. I'm just now sure how well the light from the LEDs would diffuse in the cluster.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
I did, and let me tell you, color temp differences between a 194 and an LED totally change the color from green to a sort of icy blue.  I didn't like it, and it was harder to read in daylight.  I switched back.  If you do it, make sure to use really bright ones, of go for 3000k or lower color temp.  I hated the 5600k LEDs I had.

Reply #3
Wonder if green LED's would help with that?
Mike

Reply #4
Yeah, don't use a white LED (white LED's are blue with a coating - they are missing a nice area of the color spectrum).Use green if you are keeping the green color filters in place. Also get the right bulb that would provide fairly even illumination around the bulb, if you're not going to build an LED array behind the cluster. Using white, you

You would want a neutral or warm white LED if you don't want green. They are dimmer (our eyes aren't as sensitive to the warmer color temperatures), but they provide a higher CRI which helps provide greens, and especially reds. You really don't want anything "blue" in the interior lighting - our eyes see blues as glare. A cool white one is on the much bluer side. You may not think so looking at it, but compare the color output to a HID/metal halide bulb, or many CFL bulbs. Blue with green filters will give that look.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #5
I wish I could convert all the green over to icy white.  That would kick ass.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]