Skip to main content
Topic: has anyone tryed this out yet? (Read 1731 times) previous topic - next topic

has anyone tryed this out yet?

http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powder-coating/powder-coat-guns/hotcoat-elite-powder-coat-kit.html

Has anyone used this kit before? I may do this to a few parts on the tc but havent bit the bullet as of yet. But the price on it isn't too bad at all.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #1
Works fine. You need to have an oven to cure the parts however...and not one you cook food from too. :p
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #2
yeah i know im going to go find me a junk one that the oven still works on it and put that outside running off a propane tank.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #3
Quote from: Cougar8775;335565
yeah i know im going to go find me a junk one that the oven still works on it and put that outside running off a propane tank.

Uh, NO!

ELECTRIC oven.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #4
Quote from: Chuck W;335559
and not one you cook food from too. :p

i was going to make that suggestion.. it doesn't make the oven smell too pretty

Reply #5
oh, and i don't know if you know this about powder coating or not, but whatever parts you are using it on have to be sand blasted to get any paint or oil out of the surface of the metal.. otherwise the powder coating will chip easily.. parts that are already powder coated need to be heated and then sand blasted to weaken the old coating

but as for that kit.. I LOVE MINE!! :headbang: i use it frequently beings i build micro sprints and many of the parts.. it works pretty  good, i have zero complaints, which is rare for me lol

Reply #6
Quote from: turbo_88_XR7;335772
i build micro sprints and many of the parts..

micro sprints, eh? cool.
i build sprints, midgets, silver crown cars, and TQs. ;)
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #7
Quote from: gumby;335794
micro sprints, eh? cool.
i build sprints, midgets, silver crown cars, and TQs. ;)

sweet.. i could never get into midgets, USAC or TQ's though lol

Reply #8
Quote from: turbo_88_XR7;335772
oh, and i don't know if you know this about powder coating or not, but whatever parts you are using it on have to be sand blasted to get any paint or oil out of the surface of the metal.. otherwise the powder coating will chip easily.. parts that are already powder coated need to be heated and then sand blasted to weaken the old coating

Plus aluminum is a nightmare - even preheating my intake, I had a few issues with heat/expansion causing the powdercoat to have hairline cracks all over the top of the intake and the lower parts have remelted into an ugly mess (not high enough temperature powder). We used 500 degree exposure powder on most parts (and melted on the intake - valve covers are fine) and 1100 degree exposure powder on the headers. The headers have held up well for the year and a half they've been on the car.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #9
really? i asked a couple people about the high temp exposure powder coat and no one i know ever used it and i wanted to give it a try on my custom turbo headers

Reply #10
We used high temp black powder on the stainless FMS gt40p-specific headers after sandblasting them clean and they still look much better than they did when brown before, to this day. Of course, ymmv. All powder was purchased from roseyspowdercoating.com and it has worked quite well, other than the intake issue with their standard powder.

Of course my exhaust has no back pressure from a turbo or anything so it might make a difference in exhaust temperatures a bit.
1988 Thunderbird Sport