Skip to main content
Topic: 351W build (Read 5094 times) previous topic - next topic

351W build

The 4 banger is down on power and losing more every day so it does need a rebuild. So i decided to put the 351W in it. And it would cost more to build the 2.3t to the levels i want and the 351 would be a better step in the right direction. Plus i just miss the power of a v8. But im getting around to getting parts for the swap and i need to know what i may need to take a carbed 351 and make it fuel injected. But it won't stay a 351. Im looking to go up to a 408. But im not sure what comp to use to make it run. I do plan on using a MSD box and MSD has a dizzy i could use that would be new. Plus i sorced a upper intake for it i would just need the 351 specific lower. And could i find that in the trucks? or would those be no good to use for a performance set up?  And yes it will be a roller motor. So that is solved. But the big one is the engine comp and how to fire this engine off. So any help would be appreciated thanks!
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

351W build

Reply #1
there are kits available to make the EFI swap, such as this one.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-35410/?rtype=10
other than that, im not sure if there is anything else to be done
Remember, if the women dont find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Chris
 93 cat rebuilt 3.8

351W build

Reply #2
The only factory 351 lower intake worth using is the Lightning lower and even then I would recommend a good port job on it.  I have a standard truck/van lower on mine and it has the same bolt pattern as the 5.0 truck/ holley systemax upper...the problem is the ports are tiny oval restrictions...I spent about 35hrs porting my lower intake and I think a stock Lightning lower would be an improvement.  The 351 truck/van intakes are a low rise design and that's where most of the problem is.

You can use a Stang MAF computer...don't try SD...I've done it.  AutoZone and some others have a reman computer for an '89 5.0 AOD with federal emissions for $99 with no core charge, the rest of them all have a core charge...go figure.  If you use the right MAF and injectors, then a tune isn't required...but it'll help.

If you check out the Engine Swap section there are a few good detailed builds...including mine...but there's a lot of reading there...lol.

Good luck,
Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

351W build

Reply #3
This would be my list:

A9L computer, Painless wiring harness, 90mm Lightning MAF, and an SCT chip w/custom tune.  Ditch the MSD dizzy as they have been known to cause many an issue.  Go to NAPA and get a dizzy for a truck with a 351W and injection but put Ford internals (hall affect sensor) and TFI on it.  Same cost as the MSD and will not leave you stranded.  You will need somewhere in the range of 42 lb/hr injectors for the 408 if it has any kind of power and if you super charge it then that is a whole different can of worms.  Definitely go with the Lightning lower at a minimum and if you do send it to TMoss (user name on the Corral) and have him port it (about $150 with shipping).

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

351W build

Reply #4
alot of good info here guys! Ill see what i can dig up in my next JY run. And yes ill be using gt40p's on this setup. And i know where there is an explorer i can take the whole upper intake with throttle body. But would a 5.0 lower bolt up to the 351 with the taller deck height?

Got that fox rash again!

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

351W build

Reply #5
i believe it takes spacers for the heads, but it will bolt up
Remember, if the women dont find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Chris
 93 cat rebuilt 3.8

351W build

Reply #6
GT40P heads??? You may want to buiild a smaller displacement motor with those heads.  With some work they would be nice on a 302W based stroker like a 331 but I would not go any larger.  I realize you could run them on a stroked 351W but with the limited air flow of those heads the larger displacement motor would not achieve what it could with a set of heads suited to it.  I have a set of AFR 185 on my 0.030" over 351W and if it ever gets stroked to a 390+ inch motor then I will move up to the AFR 225's.

As and example, my Coupe has a 306 with box stock Eledbrock Performer RPM 2.02 heads (sans the valve train) and it builds 320 rwhp / 330 ft-lbs torque.  The short block is 10.5:1 with a Comp Cams 35-518-8 cam.  The upper and lower are box stock Edelbrock RPM II's with a 70 mm TB and a 80mm MAF.  The A9L has and SCT chip w/a custom tune.  The heads are the limiting factor and need a port job to make any more power with the current combo according to Ed Curtis at FTI.  I might have done better with a ported Cobra upper and lower but I sold them to get the current intakes as this motor will eventually be stroked to a 331 which the RPM II's will shine on.

You really need to talk to a cam guy and make sure you are spending your money wisely if those are the heads you are going to use.

351W build

Reply #7
yeah im wating for my approval on sbftech. When i do get it i will post over there to see what cam i can run so im not just throwing money at it and going wrong. But those gt40p's i planned on porting then along with the lower intake. And possibly the upper. And i do know that they would limit it. Also the stock heads would as well that are currently on the motor. The 351 Came out of a 80's van. And it is carbed.

Got that fox rash again!

351W build

Reply #8
I kinda figured you were aware of the heads being the limiting factor with a larger displacement motor.  What kind of power are you wanting to build?  The guys on sbftech will definitely steer you in the right direction.

Darren

351W build

Reply #9
well upwards of 500-600 hp should get things moving quite nicely.

Got that fox rash again!

351W build

Reply #10
Look at my signature. My car has lots of balls and I know what works. sbford.com does not help you at all. They are tired of answering questions aboout 351w swaps.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

351W build

Reply #11
i won't be asking bout the swap ill be asking what cam to use in a 408W with gt40p heads.

Got that fox rash again!

351W build

Reply #12
Theres so many goood aftermarket heads from $650-1000. Why go with gt-40s when u could have a better lightweight head for less the hassel of porting n stuff. Just an idea.
I found some $1200 aluminum 351c heads with 4v exaust and 2v intake ports. Theres still factory 4bbl heads going for $500-1000. Id be stupid to mess with the stock ones,and im going to lose 75-100lbs.
1987 T-bird SportCoupe,302,5spd,8.8,3.27s,pbr brakes,spindles,2003 rear,18inch 06 gt rims!!!!:evilgrin:
2006 Gt Mustang,3v,5spd,8.8,3.55s,GT500rims.
1990 T-bird LX,3.8,aod,loaded,stock!!
1999 Trailblazer(wifes rig)

351W build

Reply #13
86caprirs,

What kind of power are you making or do you have any trap times and speeds?  Also, have you checked your AF ratio?  Sorry for the questions but I ran out of injector on my Coupe with 24 lb/hr injectors the 306.  I swapped the 24 lb/hr units out to 42 lb/hr injectors and made 20 more rwhp and it also solved the idle issues due to the injectors being maxed out.

I would have to say that sbftech.com is a wealth of knowledge and great guys on there that will answer all kinds of questions.  Granted a question like that has most likely been beat to death but that is why they made the search button.

I reread what I wrote above and hopefully I have not come off wrong as I do not mean to offend anyone.  I am just asking questions and posting up what I experienced as it was a lesson that cost me a little money to learn.

Darren

351W build

Reply #14
Quote from: Cougar8775;329568
i won't be asking bout the swap ill be asking what cam to use in a 408W with gt40p heads.

Gt40p heads may be the peak Windsor SBF factory head for a 302 and can be a great upgrade to an E7 for a mild 302 build.  So, assuming they are adequate for a mild 302, how much could they strangle an additional 102 cubic inches (with a bore and stroke equivalent to a big block)?

Air flow equals horsepower.  Assuming the heads are free, it's easy to spend $1,000 (or more) getting Gt40p's to flow 230 CFM (good valves, springs and porting).  230 CFM on a 408 will still choke it out.  There are great alternatives that'd be dollars and horsepower ahead.

I suspect getting a cam recommendation from SBFtech.com may be futile.  The cam would need to BIG to hang those little valves open as high as possible for as long as possible to try to feed that short block!  Probably wouldn't run too well...

You may assemble any combination of parts you like, not my intention to tell you what to do or dissuade from something you may be fixated on.  Just trying provide some parameters to provoke some thought on alternatives which may be more effective (relating to cost/time/performance).

Good luck with your project.