Skip to main content
Topic: 2.3T or 351W? (Read 1509 times) previous topic - next topic

2.3T or 351W?

ok now the question has been asked hitch gives better power responce on a budget? And ive put my TO4E in the car it feels like it ha ALOT less power then it had with the IHI. I figured yeah id get a little bit more power out of it with the new turbo, But i didn't figure i would be let down like i have. So ive been thinking bout getting the 351W from my father in law and buiding that up a bit. Just enough to give it good HP and torque numbers and yes ive played with the idea of making the TO4E fit that motor. Unless the 3" exhaust i would love to do to the TC would give me what im looking for. But that is for later down the road.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

2.3T or 351W?

Reply #1
That turbo is probably a bit oversized for where youre at right now. Basically you probably dont have the supporting mods. Just throwing in a bigger turbo yeah you are gonna lose a lot of that quick spooling low end torque the IHI provides.

Do you have these done already? http://turbotbird.com/techinfo/Mods/Mods01.htm

You should have those done FIRST before you do anything else to your 2.3... I believe Pete over there at NATO dynoed right around 200whp and 300wtq with just those mods. With your bigger turbo you should be able to crank up to at least 20 psi and have tons of top end power compared to the IHI.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

2.3T or 351W?

Reply #2
on the list i have the k&n air filter done, the MBC, and right now im working on the fuel and exhaust. So with 2 of the mods done on the list i should of gained something plus i have the boost levels lower than what they were stock. But it just doesn't feel like it has the same punch down on the low end. But im going to be bumping the timing tomorrow when i can get time inbetween fixing a 68 GMC truck and a 96 caddy with the trunk relese and fuel door release not working.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

2.3T or 351W?

Reply #3
If you're not running at least a well ported E6, or a header, and a free flowing 3" exhaust, that T04E is going to LAG like h*ll.
As mentioned before, throwing a larger turbo on something without supporting mods isn't going to work out well.
Also, the T04E isn't going to have the low end the IHI did. On the other hand, it isn't going to choke the living daylights out of the engine on the top end either. You can't have both worlds. The best thing would be to open up the exhaust on your TC and let the turbine on your new turbo breath.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

2.3T or 351W?

Reply #4
I would maybe think about going with a boblog. Theyre sposed to be pretty good manifolds. If you dont wanna spend the money, pull your manifold and gut it out. Definately get the exhaust done, including a 3" elbow. It sounds like youre still running a stock-ish exhaust.

The exhaust situation is at least 50% of your problem. Theres a reason ford went from a T3 with a tiny manifold and 2 1/4 downpipe to the IHI with a bigger manifold and 2 1/2 downpipe.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust

2.3T or 351W?

Reply #5
I think a 351w swap is in order...a cheap-o build up will give you a ton of torque and good power....but I'm a little biased...lol.

A little turbo motor can make a ton of torque, but you're working it hard...351w will make a ton of torque reliably.

I'm in no way trying to "shoot down" the 2.3...it's just not for ME.

Good luck!

-Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

2.3T or 351W?

Reply #6
Well I'm hijacking here...

Don have you ever run that 351 at the strip???

2.3T or 351W?

Reply #7
Quote from: jangus;325729
If you're not running at least a well ported E6, or a header, and a free flowing 3" exhaust, that T04E is going to LAG like h*ll.
As mentioned before, throwing a larger turbo on something without supporting mods isn't going to work out well.
Also, the T04E isn't going to have the low end the IHI did. On the other hand, it isn't going to choke the living daylights out of the engine on the top end either. You can't have both worlds. The best thing would be to open up the exhaust on your TC and let the turbine on your new turbo breath.

this isnt true.  I have never had a problem getting mine to spool using the same turbo.

2.3T or 351W?

Reply #8
Quote from: 88turbo;326582
this isnt true.  I have never had a problem getting mine to spool using the same turbo.

At what rpm? I would consider full boost by 3000 decent.

2.3T or 351W?

Reply #9
Quote from: 88turbo;326582

And you have what for an exhaust? I know it isn't stock. Are you sure you're running the same exhaust A/R? Just curious.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

2.3T or 351W?

Reply #11
So with 2 of the mods done on the list i should of gained something plus i have the boost levels lower than what they were stock.

That's like saying you just replaced the Fomoco 2V carb with a Holley Dominator on a factory straight six, and now it runs like .  A turbo, just like any other part, is an integrated component of a performance system.

Secondly,
turbo A's X psi of boost <> turbo B's X psi of boost 
In other words, with a properly designed system you might be running 20 psi of boost with the IHI and making significantly less power than if you were running 20psi of boost with the T04.  (If you could get an IHI to do that.)
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2.3T or 351W?

Reply #12
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;326578
Well I'm hijacking here...

Don have you ever run that 351 at the strip???

Yes, and it was quite a disappointment.  Long story short...no traction + too much gear + anemic top end= my fastest run happened shifting into 5th.  The car felt much faster when it still had the 2.73 gears.

Used to run out of steam by 3500rpm...replaced 55mm MAF with 73mm unit and it ran 'til about 4000rpm...cut open 5.0 upper plenum, ported it and shortened the runners and now it runs to about 4600rpm...still has stock TB holding me way back.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

2.3T or 351W?

Reply #13
Quote from: t3skidoo;326630
That's like saying you just replaced the Fomoco 2V carb with a Holley Dominator on a factory straight six, and now it runs like .  A turbo, just like any other part, is an integrated component of a performance system.

Secondly,
turbo A's X psi of boost <> turbo B's X psi of boost 
In other words, with a properly designed system you might be running 20 psi of boost with the IHI and making significantly less power than if you were running 20psi of boost with the T04.  (If you could get an IHI to do that.)

This.

You don't have ANY of the supporting mods for that turbo to perform properly on that engine.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo