Skip to main content
Topic: engine stays running with key off..... (Read 2150 times) previous topic - next topic

engine stays running with key off.....

Now i got the TC back together and took it for its voyage today and after bout 20 min of driving i go to shut the car down it continues to run as if i never turned the key off. And the Ign switch is new. So what could it be? Ign coil wire staying energized with key off? Would that keep it running? Oh and to add to the voyage the boost peaked at 10 psi and the car felt like it was running out of fuel (lean) so im not pushing it any further. I just might turn the boost down a bit. But if anyone knows why the car runs after key off please let me know. This could get bad for a turbo car.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #1
Don't think its the coil, B/c your fuel pump should shut off with the key and would starve the engine.

How long did it run for? Did all the dash lights and guages and everything shut down like normal?
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #2
yeah everything shutdown like usual but not the engine. strange i know.

Got that fox rash again!

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #3
Anything that keeps power to the R/G wire feeding the ign coil will prevent engine cutoff.. Power is fed from the ign sw to a fuse link by the starter solenoid, then to the coil and the EEC relay(inside the IRCM)... There is also a feed back to the regulator inside the alternator, any chance you have a wiring issue at the Alt???

Reply #4
Also try pulling fuse 18. A wiring problem on something fed by fuse 18 could feed back into the ignition/ECU power circuit.

Reply #5
Those are good solutions. But what i have found out is when it stays running i let it idle down to cool off the turbo, then i just dump the clutch to stall it but fans do keep running. So i pull neg cable from the bat and once i do that i hear a click from the ircm. So thats telling me one the relay is staying stuck open even with the key off and the wires are messed up somewhere. So i have some digging to do tomorrow to get this all situated. And yes i will keep everyone up to date on it. And will check out what everyone has stated.

Got that fox rash again!

Reply #6
got it figured out... Its coming back that the ircm is bad. So looks like time to replace it. Now can anyone tell me if the 90 SC ircm is a direct swap?

Got that fox rash again!

Reply #7
ok so today i put in the ircm from my 90 sc and it did work but i didn't have the fuel pump running with that ircm. So i stuck my old one on it and did some tests. Before i got no power to the r/g wire on the coil. After the swap i had power. So i started it let it idle then went to shut it off and it shut off on its own. So Can someone explane to me what happened? How did it fix itself?

Got that fox rash again!

Reply #8
Could have been a stuck relay, which means it was still closed even there was no power applied... If so it'll likely happen again...

Reply #9
yeah im sure it will thats why im hitting sone JY's to find me a new ircm.

Got that fox rash again!