Skip to main content
Topic: What a night!! (Read 1282 times) previous topic - next topic

What a night!!

Well my wife was like hey babe lets go for a drive. I was like ok (she had to go to walmart). So we start going go turn onto the on ramp. Then i get through to 3rd gear turbo spooling 5 lbs of boost, And i look in the rear view mirror and see a cloud of smoke. So im thinking great just lost the turbo.... Nope!! So i pulled over shut her down get out and what do i see.... A trail from behind my car. So im like hummm what could this be? Look closer its engine oil. I was like oh great what just happened and how much is it going to cost to fix it. So i open the hood and saw flames! I got my ass in  gear got the IC pulled and got the fire to go out. After my heart rate went back to normal i saw the oil line blew off the fitting for the turbo. So i got it back on and tight. waited for the engine to cool then started the clean up. Bout 5 quarts of oil under the car. So that was fun. But im glad i bought oil to do my oil change over the weekend. So put all 5 in and let the oil curculate before starting it. And all is good now. just a bit smokey when i drive it. Im sure there is oil in places i can't reach. But the engine wasn't hurt or the turbo. But were all safe and sound.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

What a night!!

Reply #1
, Glad it didn't happen on the way back home on Sunday.

on the up side.... your car is rust proofed. lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

What a night!!

Reply #2
lol yeah that it is.

Got that fox rash again!

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

What a night!!

Reply #3
Well, I hope the turbo is OK.  They tend to like to like to have oil in them when spinning.

The fact that the oil line "blew off" lends me to believe that you need to do something about that.  Put on a real feed line that you don't have to clamp on.  That just makes me cringe thinking about it.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

What a night!!

Reply #4
Stinger makes some good pieces Ive used before.  Just wash out your engine bay, hopefully it didnt sear the turbo.
Mike

What a night!!

Reply #5
be careful with the stinger feed line.  I had one rub through and I was in the same boat with the car on fire.

What a night!!

Reply #6
Quote from: 88turbo;321106
be careful with the stinger feed line.  I had one rub through and I was in the same boat with the car on fire.

How did you rub through a braided stainless line?  They tend to eat everything they come in contact with, not vise-versa.

What a night!!

Reply #7
I don't really know how but I almost lost my car because of it. Now I get my lines made like hydraulic lines.

What a night!!

Reply #8
yeah im going to look onto changing the feed line. After that happened i have been watching that very closely. And as far as the turbo ive not seen any ill effects from that line blowing off. What would cause it? Clog? Over pressure?

Got that fox rash again!

What a night!!

Reply #9
Quote from: 88turbo;321111
I don't really know how but I almost lost my car because of it. Now I get my lines made like hydraulic lines.

I've been using my own lines made from coated -4AN hose and reusable fittings, and they're fine.

Quote from: Cougar8775;321120
What would cause it? Clog? Over pressure?

What kind of hose is it?  That is a BAD location due to the heat and the potential pressure in the oil system, esp when the revs are up.

What a night!!

Reply #10
I had that happen twice to me. It sucks. I eventually sold the car. If it was not the feed line cracking and causeing a fire, it was the dizzy gear and idler shaft.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

What a night!!

Reply #11
well my turbo took a dump on me. So i need another IHI if its cheap but i have on watch on ebay a new t3 turbo. So if i can't find one over here ill be buying that one. And i need it ASAP! Due to being its my DD.

Got that fox rash again!

What a night!!

Reply #12
Put a real oil feed on it.

What kind of hose are you using for the feed?

What a night!!

Reply #13
stock.. there clamped on, I can get u pics in the morning if u want.

Got that fox rash again!

What a night!!

Reply #14
Quote from: Cougar8775;321175
stock.. there clamped on, I can get u pics in the morning if u want.

Stock is not clamped on. Stock is a rigid steel line that has fittings on the end. What you have is a half assed job.
It's Gumby's fault.