Skip to main content
Topic: Got It!! (Read 1499 times) previous topic - next topic

Got It!!

All,
Well, after a long drawn-out process of several weeks, I finally got it!  It's an '86 GS, 3.8/C5, light taupe metallic, taupe interior, 119k miles.  Besides some minor bumps and bruises, all it seems to need is a new tranny.  Oh, did I mention it's got vent windows?  Has the 14" wheels with wire covers (whitewalls as well), which are going to be replaced with 16" Turbo Coupe snowflakes with 225/55R16's front and 245/50R16's rear.  Been waiting for over 10 years to get back in the club!  Clean title, bought from second owner, grandma-driven for the first 28 years of its life, then passed on to granddaughter, who I bought it from.  It even passed an emissions test recently.  The best part, cost me $380.  Whoo hoo!  When I figure out how, I'll post some pics.  Thanks for everybody's feedback.

P.S. Apparently the key was lost to remove the wire wheel covers.  Can anybody tell me how to get them off?  Thanks.

Got It!!

Reply #1
Well, turns out the previous owner still has the hubcap wrench and will mail it to me this week.  Just took a quick text to ask.  Will post pics soon, I hope.

Got It!!

Reply #2
Sounds good. Looking forward to pics!
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Got It!!

Reply #3
sarjxxx,
I think I did everything right.  If so, I've created a public album and loaded about 9 pics of the car.  When you have time, please see if you have access to look at them, and let me know what you think.  Thanks.

Got It!!

Reply #4
The wheel covers just use a Allen wrench in the center. The center cap pops off and then you unthread an Allen bolt and they pop off.

You can use vice grips.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com