Skip to main content
Topic: '86 Cougar power window guide question (Read 1840 times) previous topic - next topic

'86 Cougar power window guide question

Hello - new guy here. Looks like plenty of info here, but I can't find what I'm looking for.

On my '86 Cougar with power windows, when I roll the driver's side window down, it drops forward a bit. Then, when I roll it back up, if I don't grab the window and pull it toward the back of the car, it stays dropped forward and gets pen 15ed in the channel.

I popped off the door panel, and this is what I found:

Um, wow. It looks like the window is wobbling around on that vertical shaft or whatever it is called. Some enterprising "mechanic" did a real Mickey Mouse "repair" on the plastic guides? by wrapping a bunch of zipties around them. :shakehead

Is there a better, not to mention cheap, fix for this?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Dave

Reply #1
MOAR ZIPTIEZZZZ!

Just kidding. I don't have an answer, I just wanted to say that.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Uh Uh

Reply #3
You mean you gotta buy the whole regulator; you can't get the little plastic guide/bushings/whatever they are called? I don't think so, but thanks for the link.

Reply #4
No other choice here. YOU NEED A NEW REGULATOR
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

"Fixed"

Reply #6
There's no problem. I don't have the money, time, or inclination to put a new regulator in it right now.

So, I continued the theme of bailing wire and chewing gum. I got some nylon cable clips at ACE and stuck 'em on there. Lubed everything up and it works great. For now. :evilgrin:

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Reply #7
Wow!
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
TrickFlow cam 224/232-542/563
Victor Jr. intake CNC ported
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
UPR K-member,A-Arms,and coil-overs
UPR upper/lower control arms
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
(coming soon Tremec 3550)
The Finished Product
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/03grinnie/T-bird/

Reply #9
That's Redneck actually.

In the ghetto they just push their power windows up and down by hand after they fail.

Reply #10
When I said "MOAR ZIPTIEZZZ!" I was kidding ;) Oh well, whatever works!
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #12
Quote from: B-17 Dave;413868
There's no problem. I don't have the money, time, or inclination to put a new regulator in it right now.

So, I continued the theme of bailing wire and chewing gum. I got some nylon cable clips at ACE and stuck 'em on there. Lubed everything up and it works great. For now. :evilgrin:

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

That's how Washington is handling things too.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #13
Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. Is there a how-to on replacing the regulator here, for future reference?