Skip to main content
Topic: Scary stuff happening........ (Read 10324 times) previous topic - next topic

Scary stuff happening........

Reply #75
Plotting dimensions around the crank for wear. This is dun to see if the crank is servicable. The roughness must also be checked. Normally when a bearing wears to the plating. Brass in color the crank should be undersized. Not all the time but this is from experience. Normally undersize cranks produce less oil pressure as the crank grinders normally grind to the lower side. Normally we use new cranks and control the rod bearing clearances with reconditioning the big end of the rod. As well as the mains.

To my knowledge the letter designation is not critical with a stick as posted above. That is what i read in to the previous post as to not use a specific letter designation of a Clevite 77 other than below. The thrush portion is the same as far as i know. The eccentricity and crush is different and full grove bearings are not for the street any way. Below is the comparison. The H is fine as i use them a lot. Just me could be wrong!!

http://www.mrxmotors.com/index_files/clevite_bearings.htm
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #76
Jay,

Again, there are all kinds of thoughts on how to and which way is the best way to put a motor together.  I am just going off of what the machinist that did the work for my 331 told me to do.  I figure this guy knows what he is talking about as he builds motors as well.  We differ in opinion on assembly lubricants but again lots of things to choose from and its all what you are familiar with and what has worked for you.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #77
Jay so i guess the engine builder cant just build an engine any more unless he knows the TRANNY APPLICATION????? Well that is strange as normally a stick car puts pressure on the rear thrush portion and an auto just the opposite. Then you have pull clutches like LT1 Motors SOOOOOO I am lost for words and cant figure this out!!!!! WOW!!!!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Reply #78
Evidently I have not a shaging clue one what I am talking about.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #79
Quote from: TOM Renzo;401599
Then you have pull clutches like LT1 Motors SOOOOOO I am lost for words and cant figure this out!!!!! WOW!!!!!

, Vinnie has an LT1 in his Sport?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #80
Tell ya something. My buddy Steve has put together a literal ton (possibly two tons) of 5.0 and 5.8's...mostly all with T5 trans. Never has had an issue with any thrust issues or WTF ever the argument seems to be. He's also worked as a wrench for Ford for several years, AND is ASE certified. He's also built and raced some solid 9 second 5.0 cars.

So everone can now put their dicks away and let Vinnie get back to his car, and leave the bullshiznit outta here.  it all, anyway.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #81
The type of thrust bearing vs longevity likely has merit but I don't have enough experience to contribute to the dick waving... I can say this, the thrust is loose in my 5.0(measures .105 using a dial indicator), but it's seen a few 150Hp shots of nitrous and quite a bit of 75Hp hits... It is fairly common for the blower guys to to have thrust issues...

Reply #82
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;401614
Tell ya something. My buddy Steve has put together a literal ton (possibly two tons) of 5.0 and 5.8's...mostly all with T5 trans. Never has had an issue with any thrust issues or WTF ever the argument seems to be. He's also worked as a wrench for Ford for several years, AND is ASE certified. He's also built and raced some solid 9 second 5.0 cars.

So everone can now put their dicks away and let Vinnie get back to his car, and leave the bullshiznit outta here.  it all, anyway.

This is not a DICK WAVING EVENT. It is something that i find in this industry that will go on for a million years after i am gone. People posting NONSENSE. With that i used the LT1 As an example of an engine that used the opposite side of the thrush portion of the bearing. ( I know vinny has a FORD D'OH!!!) Now just for discussion sake why does not CLEVITE post instructions with its bearings that they cant be used with specific tranny configurations. This is the BS that  me off. As you so properly posted you and your buddy's have had absolutely no issues and i firmly believe that . As i have had ZERO ISSUES AS WELL!!! Thanks Thunder sport as usual we see Eye to Eye on this one!!

Reply #83
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;401619
The type of thrust bearing vs longevity likely has merit but I don't have enough experience to contribute to the dick waving... I can say this, the thrust is loose in my 5.0(measures .105 using a dial indicator), but it's seen a few 150Hp shots of nitrous and quite a bit of 75Hp hits... It is fairly common for the blower guys to to have thrust issues...

Just a question???? Does the engine RAP ON START UP THEN DISAPPEAR???  Normally a loose thrush bearing will do that. Have not heard it in years!!! And who is to say the crank  might have gone away. Just a thought. At .105 it is time for a tear down Thanks. Just wondering if it makes NOISE.

:hick::mullet::burnout:

Reply #85
vinnie
how is it coming along and do you need anything? tool ect.?

did you consider yet to use gapless rings? , i mean i know your more than capable of filing down over sided ones but still.

Reply #86
Crazy busy around here with the car and life in general.

The engine is assembled and on the stand.New timing chain was in order as well. I also installed a new Summit harmonic balancer I had bought some time ago. HOPEFULLY, it'll be back in the Sport today. Not much time to get everything done that I need to do in two days off from work, and my work days are 12 hours, so no time then. I have everything I need except oil. I'll get that later. Right now, heavy parts need to be placed in the car and bolted down. I'll update in a bit.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #87
Quick update......

The engine is in the car along with the transmission. Everything under the car is buttoned up. I still have to install the valve covers, accessories and brackets, upper intake, injectors and harnesses need to be hooked up to their appropriate places. I also have to install the radiator and fluids. I ran out of time today, but will be off again Monday and Tuesday, so, weather permitting, Monday it should be assembled and HOPEFULLY, she'll run again....as she should.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #88
Glad to hear it's almost back on the road. Good Job Vinnie :)

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #89
Thanks. But, don't give up a "good job" yet until we see if she'll run as she should. These cars have made me into a pessimist.