Skip to main content
Topic: 88 TC- V8 swap (Read 7488 times) previous topic - next topic

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #30
I'm pretty sure you just need the cam, heads, and upper intake to make it an HO. Oh, and the computer.

FirstBird, I think it is a Sport. It has the Sport/TC interrior.

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #31
Quote from: 1Bad88tbird;398866
I'm pretty sure you just need the cam, heads, and upper intake to make it an HO. Oh, and the computer.

No MAF conversion necessary?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #32
Be careful with the cam, standard 5.0's don't have valve reliefs.
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #33
Quote from: 1Bad88tbird;398866

FirstBird, I think it is a Sport. It has the Sport/TC interrior.

It's an '87 Sport, but someone swapped the seats and door panels.
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #34
Quote from: BlackTHUNDA;398865
Nice!

What do I need for an HO swap?

What about gt40 heads and intake? What else is needed for proper installation?

I know nothing about the standard output 5.0

I'm learning as I go, been searching all morning.

Basically everything except for the rods, crank, block & lower intake are different, includes heads, injectors, upper intake, throttle body, etc... ... The flattop pistons have been mentioned and some have used the HO cam on E7 heads without valve clearance issues...

With stock pieces it'll run fine with the speed densety(in fact the stock '87 & '88 SD Stangs were the quickest of all years)... If you go with a better set of heads(highly recommended over anything stock) & rumpty cam, then it will no doubt need to run a mass air setup...

BTW the Trick Flow heads can be used with flattop pistons, I have a '86 HO short block in mine without valve reliefs and never had a issue...

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #35
Most people I've seen do not have issues when using E7's/HO cam with the stock SO flat-tops. The E7 heads increase compression on an SO motor because of the flat top pistons, and it will actually run stronger than a stock HO will.

Why not drop in a Explorer 5.0? That way you get the much better GT40 heads to start off with.

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #36
Only the 1996-Feb 1997 exploder 5.0 have the gt40.  The mar97-2001 have the GT40p heads....just to clarify.

Travis

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #37
All you need to run the "P" heads are BBK shorty headers. You don't need the ultra expensive Motorsport headers.
95 Ranger Splash 2.3

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #38
Thanks for all the input guys.

The 5.0 from the explorer is sounding way better than the HO conversion. What will I need in order to achieve this swap?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #39
-Better than Explorer cam
-Upgraded valve springs
-Oil pan and pickup
-dip stick and tube
-timing cover and appropriate accessory brackets
-distributor
-Fox valve covers and a set of gaskets for them
-water pipe for lower intake 
-water pump
-timing pointer
-new gaskets and front/rear seals
-Heater hoses, radiator hoses, water hoses up front from the waterneck and thermostat housing to the water pump
-Thermostat housing
-one piece oil pan gasket
-fuel rail
-injectors

-Motor mounts
-Appropriate harnesses
-throttle cable
-fuel lines
-Block plate
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #40
Quote from: vinnietbird;399001
-Better than Explorer cam
-Upgraded valve springs
-Oil pan and pickup yes
-dip stick and tube  yes
-timing cover and appropriate accessory brackets  yes
-distributor yes
-Fox valve covers and a set of gaskets for them yes
-water pipe for lower intake  yes
-water pump
-timing pointer yes
-new gaskets and front/rear seals
-Heater hoses, radiator hoses, water hoses up front from the waterneck and thermostat housing to the water pump
-Thermostat housing yes
-one piece oil pan gasket
-fuel rail yes
-injectors

-Motor mounts
-Appropriate harnesses yes
-throttle cable yes
-fuel lines yes
-Block plate

Most of the above parts can be sourced from the SO 5.0 in the parts Bird...

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #41
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;399008
Most of the above parts can be sourced from the SO 5.0 in the parts Bird...

Very true. And as stated above I believe, take VERY good care of the floor shifter, cable, and bracket from the Sport. Also the shift linkage if you're using an AOD but not that one. Those parts are hard, and almost impossible to find.

What trans are you planning to use? The motor mounts from the Sport will be needed as well. If you have any questions, we're here.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #42
Ford actually sells a kit for their crate engines that has all the needed engine parts to put an Explorer motor in a Fox. Oil pan, pickup, timing cover, water pump and even a new balancer, this is what I used. :)
95 Ranger Splash 2.3

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #43
It is not a Sport but a Thunderbird LX. In 87 you could order a LX with a floor shifter and Turbo Coupe seats in Raven (I have seen a mint 23K mile example of this at a VTCI convention). For some reason in 87 the Sport got the base Thunderbird interior with a floor shifter but the LX had the optional TC seats. In 88 the Sport got he TC seats and they couldn't be ordered on the LX.

Lest you think I'm making it up this is dospoogeented in the Standard Catalog of Thunderbird (which I own a copy of) and by looking at dealer order books from 87 (which the 87 LX T-bird with raven TC interior's owner had). I know it's weird but I guess someone at Ford thought it was a good idea. Not very many LX cars came like this and if they did they were full optioned cars with leather. The cloth seat LX cars were equipped similarly (no TC style seats) in 87 and 88.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

88 TC- V8 swap

Reply #44
Great info guys, thanks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]