Skip to main content
Topic: '84 Cougar aka my money pit (Read 12259 times) previous topic - next topic

'84 Cougar aka my money pit

I have been gone for quite some time poking my head in every now and then. I finally have been getting somewhere with the Cougar. I've been in the process of converting to 5 lug. I have new rear axles from Anthony going in my 3.73 Trac-Lok rear end I got from Graham. I've got a set of Headers from Herb that I'm having sand blasted and I will be painting and wrapping them. I just bought a set of 4 lug Cobra R's to put on it for now. I couldn't pass up the deal. I've got exhaust tips, an X-pipe and a Mach 1 Air Dam on its way. My Turbo Coupe hood is being painted. I've been searching for front hubs/spindles to finish the 5 lug swap. I located a Mark VII, but am trying to get a Cobra setup including 4 wheel disc brakes. As of lately I've been acspoogeulating alot of parts for it I'll have some pics of the wheels up tonight. And parts when they arrive. Just need front tires and I'll have the wheels on and get exhaust put on it.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #1
Great! Keep up the progress and keep us posted.

Reply #2
Nice. Progress is a good thing. Pics should be posted of the new wheels as well. Keep it up, stay in touch more often, and good luck.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
Sounds like things are coming together...we would all love to see pics when you get it finished.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #4

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #5
Hood is being painted, center cap decals are being made, and all of my exhaust parts should be coming soon.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #6
What are the center cap decals going to have on them? I still have the custom center caps I made myself. I didn't need them for these wheels, but after I got rid of my Cobra R wheels, I couldn't part with them. Nice wheels you have there. I remember when I ran that kind on the Sport. They looked great. What exhaust parts are you expecting? This sounds like you're making up for lost time.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #7
I'm making up for 4 years worth of "putting off" the build. The center caps will have a silver Cougar emblem. I honestly wasn't going to buy wheels until I finished the 5 lug conversion, but these wheels cost me less than the two tires I will have to buy haha. Could'nt pass that up. Plus it gives me more time to plan out my 5 lug and actually enjoy the look these wheels give the car.

Parts I'm expecting are:
UPR O/R X-pipe
Exhaust tips(3 1/2" Rolled Edge)
Header Gaskets
New Header Bolts
Header Wrap and Straps
I just need to pick up some 2 1/2" to 2 1/4" reducers so that my Magnapacks will fit to the X-pipe and Tailpipes. All of the piping is 2 1/2" but the Magnapacks have a 2 1/4" Inlet/Outlet.

I need to sandblast and paint my headers, wrap them and exhaust will be on and done. I'm going to remove all of the smog system when I put on the headers. Get my wheels on and my Turbo Coupe hood.

After that it's ready for the show I'm prepping it for. Gonna shop around for some Valve covers.

Next things on the list are a Mini Starter, and the 5 lug swap. Then starting the saving for my motor build.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #8
Header wrap, ties, gaskets and exhaust tips came in 2 days ago. They sent me the wrong tips. I ordered 18" without a logo, and Summit sent me 12" with stamped logo. I didn't want a tip saying "Cherry Bomb", I have Magnaflow tips on the way. Pics will be up tomorrow.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #9
In the process of buying some 94-95 Spindles/Hubs and Mach 1 springs. Things are looking pretty good. Gonna check up on center caps tomorrow and I need to get the paint matched for the hood.

Here's a pic of the tips:

I got off work late but will have pics up in the morning of my parts pile(which is growing)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #10
BBK Offroad X-Pipe and Magnaflow Exhaust Tips came in from Summit today.

Pics of parts to be installed:

Headers are ready for blasting, car comes out of storage tomorrow. Ordering tires, and a Mach 1 Air Dam.
Hopefully next week I'll have exhaust on, Cobra R's on and hood being painted, and the air dam installed.

Found a set of 94/95 spindles for $100 and a brand new set of Mach 1 springs also for $100. Should I snag them? I won't need them for awhile.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #11
Spend the 200 on those spindles and springs, or regret it forever. lol
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

5 years of waiting and wheels are on!

Reply #12
Rear tires: 255/50/17
Front tires: 245/45/17

My Dad and I swapped his front tires for my rears so he would have a raked look to his Chevelle. Put my Center Caps on today, so no pics of the whole car with them. Mach 1 Air Dam on its way, TC hood goes on Wednesday and Exhaust next week!!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #13
Looking good! Those cars make a nice pair. Classic.:bowdown:

Reply #14
Very nice work.  What was the process on the center caps?
Mike