Skip to main content
Topic: $13 aluminum driveshaft... SCORE! (Read 1331 times) previous topic - next topic

$13 aluminum driveshaft... SCORE!

So, I went to a few yards the other day looking for a set of fenders and doors for my 88 TC (go figure when I finally get around to it all the amazingly clean and solid parts in the San Diego yards are dented to ) and ended up finding a 97 Crown Vic Police Interceptor.

The rear was pretty froze up.  I got the first 3 bolts off with my 3/8 ratchet and then used a big piece of steel from the grill guard as a lever (luckily a couple holes lined up with the wheel studs!) and after about 5 minutes of intense work got the shaft rotated 90 degrees!  And since it was the 50% sale, $13.60.

I had to get my stock TC shaft balanced anyway, so I'll just have this one cut and balanced instead!  :D

1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Reply #1
[SIZE="7"]Schweet!!![/SIZE]
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #2
that reminds me.....i need to go back to the yard...
there was at least three aerostars with aluminum d/s when i was there last week.

nice find!
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #3
I had a couple of those and ended up sping them because I can't find anyone around here to do an aluminum shaft.Oh well.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
bummer!  I'm sure I can find some one in San Diego.  We'll see!  anyway, who knows how to properly measure for a drive shaft?  I have my stock t5 TC shaft in with the 5.0/mustang t5 now but don't know if that really is the proper length....
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Reply #5
have the shop doing the work tell you how they want you to measure it.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #6
good call, i suppose you can measure it different ways...

Also, anyone know if the crown vic yoke will fit in my T5.  and why does my TC shaft have a big round hunk of steel on the yoke, which surrounds the end of the tailshaft, and the vic doesn't?

Reply #7
thats some damper, and can be removed.
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #8
I figured, just didn't know if it had anything to do with balance.  also, maybe it's just not needed with the aluminum shafts cause it is less rotating mass to 'dampen'

Reply #9
 good score. The aluminium alone is worth more than that now.