Skip to main content
Topic: Chuck's '83 TBird (Read 71722 times) previous topic - next topic

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #45
Chuck,

Sorry to hear about the hood. Glad you are being able to exercise it though; I too am jealous !

I can't wait to see this "visual tweak" you speak of. 

Brent
:cougarsmily:
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #46
Well just to prove that it is out and getting driven ;)

The pics aren't all that great as it was mid-day and sunny, but at least it's not sitting in the garage.

And here is the chip/dent... :(

It got a bath when I got home today, and I'm going to take the laptop with me to work tomorrow to see if I can fiddle with the tune a bit.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #47
such a nice 83  :)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/665379

1983 TurboCoupe-T3 .60/.63, 3" exhaust, Motorsport front mount, PJ, large VAM, green tops, 8.8" w/ 3.55's, 13.72@97mph
1985.5 SVO
1984 Fullsize Bronco- 300, NP435

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #48
Well I've driven it every day since Tues and have been slowly working on the tune.  Nothing scientific as I haven't had much time aside from driving back and forth to work, but I have improved the warm-up strategy a bit and worked on a couple flat spots in the VE table.  I got antcy this morning and pushed it to 17psi in 4th...no noises and no smoke...so after a little more VE tuning, I'll get back to adding more spark advance.
The tune is all goofy because as I was trying to tune it the past couple times, it was either running on 3 cylinders, or burning oil...so that never helped matters :p

The rains are supposed to return tonight, so it will go back into storage.  Hopefully it won't get any new dents...

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #49
Man, I really love that car.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #50
Beautiful car, Chuck
Any inside shots?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #51
Just a couple.  Hasn't changed much in there yet.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #52
I can't believe how small the top of the dash is, in that car.
I like those seats too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #53
Ok, well I spent a little time with the car today.  The first task was to work on the tune a bit more.  Made some pretty good improvements in that repsect.
Second I swapped the Pro 5.0 stubby shifter handle for a stocker so I can actually reach the shifter in all 5 gears.
I put quite a few miles on the car today, as opposed to just driving it back and forth to work.

When I got back home again after some errands I did a bit more work on it.

See if you can guess what is different on the front of the car...

Yes, it's the foglight covers... I have been wanting a set of the white covers for a while now, and I found a set...that came in this...

I got them out of France.  The lights are new and unused and basically came complete with a little  "install" kit in a neato plastic package.  The yellow lights will probably wind up on the '80.

I know the cover change on the fogs is a trivial thing, but I always liked them over the later grey covers.

Then I finally did some "real" work and finished off the exhaust with a new stainless tip.

I found it online and is an 11" long 3-1/2" dia tip with a 3" inlet.  It was the PERFECT length to finish off my Stinger tailpipe. It was also only $20...bonus!

While I had the car up in the air I also snapped a pic of the exhaust that I installed at the end of last year.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #54
looks good!!  :)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/665379

1983 TurboCoupe-T3 .60/.63, 3" exhaust, Motorsport front mount, PJ, large VAM, green tops, 8.8" w/ 3.55's, 13.72@97mph
1985.5 SVO
1984 Fullsize Bronco- 300, NP435

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #55
Its about time you got to drive that car and fix it up some more looks good. Keep up the work and i can't wait to see more pics.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #57
oooooh, pretty tires!

kinda surprised to see a single exit tip on there; looks real good.

now, about that under car shot.....youve got jackin rails and SFCs, but your jack is under the LCA pickup??? :tg:
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #58
Well I thought about the twin tip, as I really like that look.  When it came down to it though this was just much cleaner and easier (and cheaper, as the twin tips I was finding with a 3" inlet were 2-3x's as much as this one was).  This one was perfect though for the install with the Stinger tailpipe.  I cut nothing to install it, just placed it at a slight angle and welded it in.

As far as the jack location...I said the same thing to myself as I jacked it up.  I did place the stand under the JR though :hick:

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #59
^ Drools at those foglights. You wouldn't be interested in selling your old covers would you? I'm missing one.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)