Skip to main content
Topic: "New" wheels (Read 2833 times) previous topic - next topic

"New" wheels

I dont know what everyone calls them, but for $80 and some wheel paint they look sweet. I love them, and they are stock Cougar wheels, I think they look so badass. One last touch, paint the inner "spoke" body color and some raised white  letters.

"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

"New" wheels

Reply #1
I actually like the look of that wheel. nice and simple.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

"New" wheels

Reply #2
They are a nice looking wheel, probably one of Ford's better "polycast" designs. The things are HEAVY though, and only 14". Still, they make a good, cheap upgrade over the wire wheels or hubcaps...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

"New" wheels

Reply #3
They look sweet, bro! Nice job. Those rims are the perfect stock rim for these cars. They look great, fit the car, fit the lines of the car, and were unique to the Fox Cougar.

Funny story about them...back in 1987, right after I got my '84, I was trying to figure out what wheels to get, to replace the spoke hubcaps. One day I was at the mall (hey, this was the 1980's LOL) and happened to park next to a brand new '88 Cougar...I think it was dark blue. Anyway, it had those wheels but at the time I was under the impression that they were hubcaps because of the rubbery face. Imagine my surprise when I tried to, um, procure them LOL. The next time I went to the dealership I got a quote for all 4, brand new, 14" polycast road wheels for a 1987 Cougar: $1200+ US. Yeah, that's what I said too. Not long afterward I ended up with a set of TRX wheels...which are another story altogether. But the point is, even then I knew those wheels were a perfect fit for the car. If only they were 15" instead...

"New" wheels

Reply #4
The inside "spoke" on my wheels is black (probably could use a respray at some point) and I like the look. Other than the turbines, they are the best looking stock T-bird/Cougar wheel. As said earlier, too bad they are heavy and 14"

Here they are on my beast:
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

"New" wheels

Reply #6
-no offense, man they are and improvement AND do look good on your car, but when i see polycast wheels, all i can think of is(like eric) "shudder"  80's tempos & topazes.  euw!  telling my age, but i remember in the early-mid 90's people with polycast wheels coming in the dealership and wanting to buy a replacement "rubber" wheel because theirs had chunked and cracked with age.  especially temps and topazs, you'd look it up and tell em the price, and they'd say "for one wheel?, i'll go to the junk yard"  next time you saw it it was riding on old rusty steelies.......
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

"New" wheels

Reply #7
lookin good 8)

"New" wheels

Reply #8
Quote from: shorangerbird;107189
-no offense, man they are and improvement AND do look good on your car, but when i see polycast wheels, all i can think of is(like eric) "shudder"  80's tempos & topazes.  euw!  telling my age, but i remember in the early-mid 90's people with polycast wheels coming in the dealership and wanting to buy a replacement "rubber" wheel because theirs had chunked and cracked with age.  especially temps and topazs, you'd look it up and tell em the price, and they'd say "for one wheel?, i'll go to the junk yard"  next time you saw it it was riding on old rusty steelies.......

These particular polycasts actually do a pretty good job of imitating an aluminum wheel, though...

My first thought when I hear "polycast" is the honeycomb wheels that were on my '78 Trans Am. And they did everything polycast wheels are infamous for, including rotting to the point the centers would no longer stay on. I ditched 'em in favour of Cragar SS's (15X10 on the back with N50-15 tires!)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

"New" wheels

Reply #9
hey i really like the look of "raised whites" tires on SSX's cat.

can anyone tell me if some comapny makes those kind of tires for mine? (i dont even know the size of my stock turbines! lol) i think ill have to get new tires soon (mom wants me to anyway i think theyre but moms way or the highway right?:beatyoass:  lol)

so now that i think of it id like a set of raised whites. if there are some i could buy what choices do i have and what ones would you guys reccomend? will they be more expensize than average? by about how much?
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

"New" wheels

Reply #10
Go to a tire store, most good brands will have models with the white lettering available
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

"New" wheels

Reply #11
I have raised white letter BFG Radial T/A's on the Vic if that helps any? I just got them done at the tire place and they asked RWL or black?

"New" wheels

Reply #12
Not my thing but they look good and if they make you happy go with it.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

"New" wheels

Reply #13
They are a quick, cheap and very good looking solution before spending ungodly amounts of money on suspension and wheels.

And you guys are correct they arent fun when the paint cracks, and has imperfections, but a good wash and a scotch brite took care of it, and that black inner spoke will be body color on mine.

I got a quote for raised whites, considering the wheels on there are it so far, I have the wire wheels on the other side.:pbb: BFG Radial T/As  215/70/14 are quoted $67 as of Sears.

Now its time to put on the Flowmasters, and she is a  good looking car. I still gotta get the TC hood painted though.Thanks for all of the comments likes or dislikes, its nice to hear opinions.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

"New" wheels

Reply #14
I need a center cap for one also. Can anyone help me there? Maybe the Beauty rings for the outer edge too?

$4 Walmart wheel paint does good for these SSX. Taped off the rims, soaped the tires and sprayed a good 7-8 coats and let em bake in the hot garage for about 6 hours. It'll be fun painting the once black inner spoke body color.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]