Skip to main content
Topic: Shiny kitty (of a different breed) (Read 1718 times) previous topic - next topic

Shiny kitty (of a different breed)

I don't get on here too often anymore, mainly since I sold the cat and have playing with another kitty for a few years.  I just did a little spring cleaning, and I thought you guys might like to see my replacement kitty.  It's a 2000 Jaguar XK8 with a few subtle mods.

2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

Reply #2
Beautiful car, but I've heard maintenance can be killer. That said...I'd LOVE to own a V12 Jag someday.
2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

Reply #3
Expensive cars are not normally my taste, but I would love to have one of those.

Reply #4
Nice kitty, I think the 2000 Jags were technically a Ford product. I love Jags.
1988 Thunderbird LX  557/C6 project. UPR tube K-member, A-Arms, Strange 10 way adjustable coilovers. SN-95 spindle,brakes. Manual rack, bump steer kit.  MM castor/camber plates, Dynatech 2 1/8 swap headers. Quick 9" 35 spline Moser axles,CHE lower c arms,

Reply #6
Quote from: V10KLZZ71S;385725
Nice kitty, I think the 2000 Jags were technically a Ford product. I love Jags.

Thank God!  Henry doesn't all ways get cars right....but Jag before Henry.....ouch.

Travis

P.S.  Nice ride.

Reply #7
Now you just need the supercharger so it actually IS an XKR too ;)
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #8
Sweet. I have been planning on having XK8 someday myself. That's pretty killer dude.
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #9
That is a slick looking Jag, The european cars definitely have nicer interiors than what we have in the US
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

Reply #10
Thanks guys.  It's been a great car and not too bad for maintenance.  I found a great forum for them that is as good as this one…and that is a rare thing.  As a bonus, it is easy and free to pick up the official Jaguar shop manual (Jaguar's JTIS - Technical Information System) on CD or over the internet.

They have fallen even farther in price than when I bought mine, so I could afford an XKR now, but this one is so perfect, I hesitate to get a different one.  It's hard to believe you can pick up an $80k car for $10-15k.  They are pretty reliable cars as long as you keep up on maintenance, and they aren't that bad to work on.  That said, I'd look for a 2003+ if you are serious, as quite a few of the issues are taken care of with those, and as a bonus you get a slightly larger engine and an extra gear in the transmission.

Parts prices are high and if you go to the dealer for service, you will quickly be spending serious money, but a nice independent mechanic will treat you right for anything that you don't want to tackle.  The car was built under Ford's ownership, which helped reliability quite a bit and as a bonus, Ford and Lincoln stole the AJ-V8 with some detuning for use in the new Thunderbird and the LS, so some parts interchange.  You can get the Ford part number for substantially less than the Jaguar one, despite being the same part.

That said, I probably wouldn't own a V12 Jag.  The V12 itself, is very reliable…its just the entire car's wiring that scares me to death.

I have been keeping tabs on my old Cougar, and it's on its third owner in three years.  Each one planned on restoring it, but just let it deteriorate :(  Hopefully this one actually restores it, as I would love to see it in shining glory.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]