Skip to main content
Topic: Are your interior plastics sticky or bleeding color? (Read 5357 times) previous topic - next topic

Are your interior plastics sticky or bleeding color?

I'm not sure if my issue is unique due to using a harsh chemical to clean, or if these parts are just degrading..

The color is rubbing off my door panels/armrests. They're also very sticky. I have a feeling my only recourse is going to be replace the parts.. I'll get a list of the affected parts and come back here to go shopping. :)

Anyone else have this issue?
"1FSTCAT" - 87 Mercury Cougar XR7, 5 Speed, Powerdyne Supercharger.

"NTRCPTR" - 91 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - 460 POWERED. 14.15 @ 97 MPH, untuned.

Reply #1
I've had more problems with fading or discoloration than anything else. That's probably just due to time and atmosphere. Whatever you're experiencing is probably normal for ~30-year-old plastics. Also, warmer climates will cause the interior panels to bleed and warp/discolor a lot more. I know you're only ~250 miles away but Cincy is always warmer than Youngstown, and your summers are definitely more intense.

The only true way to "fix" the issue is to remove the panel, sand it lightly, use a good wax/grease prep, use an adhesion promotor, and respray the panel with a quality interior lacquer. I have never found any other "magic" fix. Even getting the panels recovered in vinyl has its own issues.

The OEM door panels on the '86 are different from each other: one side has held paint flawlessly from day one (1999-sh). The other side has required repainting every 3-4 years no matter what I try. It always stays tacky and rubs off on clothing. This year I did a full strip, heavy sand, and multi coats of adhesion promoter with a lot of drying time in-between. Seems to have done the trick. It's just something in the plastic on the one door panel...the other side is fine.

Reply #2
Wow! Thanks for the concise reply, Eric. Good to "see" you again!!

I'll give that a try. I didn't even consider the idea of refinishing it!
"1FSTCAT" - 87 Mercury Cougar XR7, 5 Speed, Powerdyne Supercharger.

"NTRCPTR" - 91 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - 460 POWERED. 14.15 @ 97 MPH, untuned.

Reply #3
This prompted some interesting searching. I was blown away to find this particular result/problem/discussion: Ferraris. http://www.ferrari101.com/forum/360-430-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/165540-solution%94-melting-sticky-rubber-plastic-interior-pieces.html

Now try and stay jealous the next time you see some high roller in a 360 Modena :rollin:

Did you clean anything with harsh chems as you hinted at? I'm not a chemist but you might have jump-started a decomposition of the material. That's most likely what you are seeing. My guess is oxidation, really shouldn't be likely to react with nitrogen or argon or other trace elements in the air. Sun exposure also doesn't help. But the plastic compound is decomposing in some way.

Eric's method will passivate the surface, like rust if you successfully seal it in, it cannot continue. Or you could cut down the material and expose "fresh" stuff and you may or may not need to seal in THAT too. I wonder if there is some outer layer that does just this when it's initially manufactured. The guy whose job I now have because he quit, has his M.S. in Chem Engineering, and is a big motorhead as well. He insists that dashboards splitting and cracking on older vehicles throughout the 70's and 80's was due to poor plasticizers. Those are apparently additives that help make the dashtops ductile and flexible. I'll have to ask him about this. If nothing else he'll ramble on for an hour and I'll be stuck there but I'll come away with some random trivia LOL
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #4
It's tough to cut down the surface and expose new molded color because of the graining on the outer surface. Otherwise sanding would be a great solution, at least for a few times.

The interior on my '84 rarely sees daylight. That car has always been garaged since new (old people owned, then on to me). And yet the kick panels have yellowed. So it's not me, it's not my environment...has to be something with the plastics...

Reply #5
My Thunderbird spent the first 14 years of it's existence in So Cal and the next 13 here in Chicago. I don't have an issue with the plastics getting sticky or deforming. It's been garaged all the time which may help. I'm betting it has more to do with sun exposure or the chemicals used to clean the plastic than anything else.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #6
my 87 has been in a garage all its life, the interior is like new although the bottom part of my armrests have unglued from the metal frame and is pulling away a bit. still not complaining though... I'm putting my money on sun, or heat damage is what most people have.. I have never used anything other then windex to clean all my interior plastic, and vinyl... last year I gooped the dash with petroleum jelly... been softer and more pliable ever since
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #7
I use this stuff. http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g13616-quik-interior-detailer™/

It doesn't shine interior surfaces or leave any residue. It just makes everything look clean and new.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #8
I had issues with my panels getting sticky too. My solution was a big can of Goo-Gone. and then scrub it with those cheap red rags they sell at auto parts stores
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

Reply #9
Mine has spent it's time in cold cold cold Sweden.
It's mint!

But it was one hell of a rust bucket instead....

Reply #10
The arm rests on both side doors of my 84 TBird are both sticky and look like someone sprayed glue on them.  My car has been in extreme hot temps for most of its life... I guess it's a chemical reaction from the heat...  I'm trying to find some type of cleaner that will get rid of this mess...

Reply #11
Steve, Welcome to the forum. Search Meguiars products. They may have something and are at most auto parts stores. I have used something called "TUFF-STUFF" for years. It is sold at auto parts stores and even Wal-Mart. Spray on and let it soak, scrub with a brush works pretty well. I detailed cars for extra money when I was younger and got great results with it. Good luck and post some pics of your Bird when you can. , Ray.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #12
X2 on petroleum jelly. Most plastics are oil based and need lubed.

My steering wheel drives me nuts. Sometimes when I'm stuck in traffic or waiting in the car I pull the key out and se the edges of the steering wheel. Goopy booger looking peices rub off.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #13
Old plastic and sun, with the windows closed, close to melting. Our parts are getting old!, Like me!
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #14
I just bought a 87 turbo coupe the part under the armrest on the door panels were sticky. I though maybe someone tried to clean them with something or spilled something on them, but then the interior is in mint condition. Mine are red. I also posted in the parts forum, because I'm looking for some driver side door panel parts someone must have tried to take them off and broke a bunch of the plastic parts on the door panel.