Skip to main content
Topic: Oh No!--Another 5 lug conversion ? Thread (Read 2430 times) previous topic - next topic

Oh No!--Another 5 lug conversion ? Thread

Reply #15
If you already had the original axle shafts re-drilled to a 5 lug pattern, why not buy a replacement shaft and have it re-drilled?

I guess I'd find another rear end altogether that accepts the 5 lug shafts you already bought...IE: an older 7.5 or Mustang GT 8.8.

and FWIW, I will be testing the waters with an XR7 8.8 rear w/10" drums, and more modern Ranger axles.  I antite machine work, but I work in a machine shop.  My bro. manages a parts store, so parts can be tried and returned, etc...
1987 TC

Reply #16
Quote from: HAVI;223515
If you already had the original axle shafts re-drilled to a 5 lug pattern, why not buy a replacement shaft and have it re-drilled?

I guess I'd find another rear end altogether that accepts the 5 lug shafts you already bought...IE: an older 7.5 or Mustang GT 8.8.

OK, a little more screwed up history for this recent "simple replacement"...

Adv Auto parts guy ordered stock replacement axle for 87 T-Bird--it showed on/in their "system" as having 5-lugs (but no length indicated),,,mechanic guy went to install & it was 1" too long & hub was too large for drum...mech returned axles to store , put old axles back in car to get out of shop, & called me...mech then called store to get length of axle he had just sent back (don't know why side-by-side measurements did not properly happen @ shop)...somewhere between mech & parts man the answer came out as 30" for the "new ones" & therefore mech deduced those being 1" too long--I'd need a 29-inchers.  Thats how & when & I got involved looking for my 29 inchers w/ 5-lugs.

My plan now IS to just get a stock replacement axle & have it redrilled for 5-lug--but I can't order it from Adv Auto because their system is screwed-up & is what they sent in 1st place (see 1st sentence above) that did not fit...

I've already taken the 29.125" axles (Bronco II) back to Adv Auto for them to return to Motive Gear/ whatever.

Early tomorrow morning, I'll take one of my axles up to them--with visible part # & give them one more chance.  My car was left on hoist w/ axles removed over weekend & will need to be temporarily reassembled AGAIN to move outside so mech can do other scheduled work...

If only I had taken the measurements myself,
If only Adv Auto "system info" was correct,
If only coolcats site info was correct (for Ranger, Aerostar axles...),
If only my axle bearing and seal had not failed.....

I realize I'm now on my own to move forward as best I can--I certainly thank all those that tried to HELP me.

At the end of my story, I'll write an epilog...

P.S.  I can't say enough good about Brian Portez's 5-lug conversion kit for the front (stock size/ 10" rotors)...I converted my front with his "complete kit" (even includes new grease caps!) several years ago & it was a slam-dunk...

Monte

Reply #17
Quote from: EricCoolCats;223494
Great insight about my website. Nice to know the hard work I put into it is being appreciated. I don't see what part of this paragraph isn't clear:

Despite the references we've provided it seems that you're not comprehending. Sounds like you're on your own, there, buddy. You've got a hot rod...time for some hot-rod ingenuity.
Good luck to you.

Why didn't you complete the quote referenced on the site (your I presume) where you also indicated certain axles from Rangers & Aerostars would fit?

I include quote from your site:

Axle Shafts
Now you can have your stock shafts machined for the 5-lug pattern, but as affordable and plentiful as new or used 5-lug axle shafts are these days, it makes more sense to search those out. Regardless of your model year 1983-88 and your rear end width, these axle shafts will directly swap into your Cougar's rear axle:

1994-98 Mustang-width axle shafts (~ 29 15/16", 7.5" or 8.8")
1983-92 Ford Ranger pickup axle shafts (2 driver's side, ~29 5/8")
1986-97 Ford Aerostar minivan (2 passenger side, ~29 5/8").
All stock Ford passenger car rear ends of our era had 28-spline axle shafts. If you need to see more specific information concerning rear end widths, axle shafts, and

I initially assumed the 94-98 Mustang-width axle shafts (being for disk brakes?) would not directly bolt-up with a/ my stock 9" rear drums/brakes.  Could you please tell me if anything additional is needed to make these stang axles fit to stock 9" drums or not??

Still seeking answers/ help,,,  Monte

Reply #18
if you know what you need maybe moser can make them up for you

Reply #19
Quote from: mjbtbrd;223657
if you know what you need maybe moser can make them up for you

I did know what I needed & Moser custom-made them for me.  Rec'd them in just 5 days. They're now installed & car is back in it's proper car-shed--resting up for a good run...