Skip to main content
Topic: 20th anny light beside grille (Read 1786 times) previous topic - next topic

20th anny light beside grille

Are the lights beside the grille supposed to blink with the turn signals on the 20th anny cougars? I have changed the complete interior (including the dash) a couple years ago. The reason I asked is because I had to replace 1 of the bulbs. I have double filament bulbs (2357) in both the lights beside the grille and the corner lights. My corner lights do blink when the turn signals are on.
Our web page

02 Explorer XLT 4.0L
04 F150 FX4 Supercrew 5.4L
02 Saturn SL1 1.9L
09 Vstar 950 Tourer

Re: 20th anny light beside grille

Reply #1
mine don't, so... :dunno:
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #2
Your wiring harness is backwards.  Someone switched your inner markers next to your grill with the side markers on the front quarter panels.  The body shop did that to me 3 years ago after a minivan clipped my front end.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #3
Mine dont and never were..... They have double filament bulb but only the low element is used (Both are connected but only low are working.)  :screwy:

I replace those with clear bulb, cut and reinstalled the sockets to use the high element.
Look cool and better this way...  :grinno:

Reply #4
Paul,

I'm sure that my wiring is not backwards because my front quarter lights light when the turn signals are on.

Sly,

I read that your car had the same thing that I have.

What do you think about rewiring these to blink with the turn signals? After all, there is a double filament bulb that only half of it is being used. Why not use the whole bulb? It just seems to be a waste to have a doulble filament bulb in place where a singal filament bulb should have been. Maybe Eric or any of the other knowledgeable Tbird / Cougar people can explain why Ford would do such a thing.

Thanks for your comments.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Our web page

02 Explorer XLT 4.0L
04 F150 FX4 Supercrew 5.4L
02 Saturn SL1 1.9L
09 Vstar 950 Tourer

Reply #5
My guess: there were no single-filament bulbs available in 1987 when the new front end debuted. Remember, at that time the "aero" flush headlamps were brand spanking new and bulb manufacturers were slow to ramp-up production. I remember even dual-filament headlamp bulbs being very difficult to find in parts stores. I'm sure you could now replace it with a single-filament bulb with no problem. If you also notice, the bulb socket is different for the marker lights and the park/turn signal lights. Again, that was probably because of the new production.

It is entirely possible to rewire either of those lights. You could have both the park and the inner lamps flash with the turn signal, for instance. Or you could switch them and have just the inners flash, and the park lamps illuminate only. Just remember that when you add a flashing bulb to the existing harness, that will increase the load on that circuit and the signals will flash faster than standard. You'll need a heavier-duty flasher pot to correct the situation.

Reply #6
What do you think about rewiring these to blink with the turn signals?

I'm using the high intensity side for the city driving (With cover light removed). It light enough but not the low intensity...  :deal:

It also look like special headlights and even cops dont bother me with this at night.... (It's been 8 months now)  :grinno:

Since I use the high side as Driving light, the low side is now useless cuz if i light it, there is no difference....  :dunce: