Skip to main content
Topic: 350 (?) swap makes your rusty Thunderbird worth more (Read 1356 times) previous topic - next topic

350 (?) swap makes your rusty Thunderbird worth more

6.6L Engine 4-bolt Main .. Corvette fuelie heads...... B&M th350 transmission. All i know about the car if u have any questions contact kris 630-692-0430

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/d/1987-thunderbird/6430310332.html

I guess it has a Chevy engine swap but no pictures of said swap + rusty = worth $2800.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1
But its got a wing.

Plus duals and a tc hood.

Stock 14" tires might be fun, bet its an open diff too. Tire spin for days
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
Quote from: Haystack;464045
But its got a wing.

Plus duals and a tc hood.

Stock 14" tires might be fun, bet its an open diff too. Tire spin for days

All worth the $$$$. All of it.

My car has tire spin for days even with 16" wheels :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #3
That's either the smallest salvage yard I have ever seen or this guy needs to haul some  off and clean up his yard...

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #4
Quote from: Aerocoupe;464056
That's either the smallest salvage yard I have ever seen or this guy needs to haul some  off and clean up his yard...

I'm going with the latter.

Reply #5
It's got black window trim so it's a Sport, which means traction lock. And that's about the only thing it's got going for it.

If it's a 6.6 and a Chevy, it's a 70's 400 small block. They weren't performance engines and were known for overheating because their large bore meant siamesed cylinders. The highest rated example was in the mid 200's for horsepower and they were meant for trucks and large cars. They were kinda Chevy's answer to the Ford 400M and Chrysler's 400 (though the Chevy came first) - mid-displacement emissions choked torgue monsters but not good performers, and with little aftermarket support. I doubt it has the four bolt mains as well, because such engines are quite rare.

I only know this stuff from back when I had my Firebirds and wanted a 400, because, as we all know, bigger is better :hick: Little did I realize back then that the LT1 I had was far more powerful and far more valuable than any 400...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #6
The 400 Chevy with a decent cam, heads and 4bbl intake was quite the runner, were searched out just for that reason... In the later '80s I had a guy come several miles to buy a 400 '70 Impala I had for sale... Unlike Ford's 400 lump, Chevy's 400 was a decent size package... The Ford could run with a good set of 351 Cleveland heads, aftermarket intake etc... Still due to physical size were really only suited for midsize and larger cars, plus the F-series...