Skip to main content
Topic: Anbody Shadow their Tool box? (Read 4690 times) previous topic - next topic

Anbody Shadow their Tool box?

Reply #15
No "shadowing " for me,my rollaway has all the plastic organizers that Craftsman makes. Also,like Vinnietbird,i clean every tool before i put them back so i would know if something was missing.

Reply #16
Just like most everyone above, I don't have enough room for proper shadowing. So, I put the sockets on racks, wrenches in holders and call it good.
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Reply #17
Quote from: flstci71;302043
just like most everyone above, i don't have enough room for proper shadowing. So, i put the sockets on racks, wrenches in holders and call it good.

x2
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #18
I always have time to figure out a way to not have the same problem everyone else has.........
"where the hell is my "

these pics are old but each tool is outlined.  where there is a duplicate, "x2" is written in the outline.

I did this to our shop in Iraq,, the army guys coulnt figure out what the hell was going on.  Apparently only a select few people in the world get real experince with tool control but all it takes is one death to figure out its importance.  once you do it,, your hooked for life though.

Navy has the following process for tool control.

each tool box or drawer has a foam pad about 1/2'' -1'' thick.  The top is painted with RED color.  A tool is traced on the red surface then the outline is cut out to about 1/4'' deep.  This leaves a black empty spot where a tool should be.  In addition, the position is numberd by a lable gun such as the number "1". this number 1 is placed in a small square hold near the tool then clear silicone is put on top to allow you to see the number plus keep the number in place.
Each tool box had an inventory paper and a bagie the paper called home.  the baggie and the inventory page were also on the inventory.

during shift change, two shifts are in shop at the same time for 30minutes.
all tools are accounted for and that is when the prior shift is allowed to leave.

here is the flow.......

step 1- you go the the shop supervisor and ask for the master key box. 
step 2- you unlock wall mounted master key lock box
step 3- remove log book and sign out the key to any available tool box / drawer. place log book back in master key box , remove key, lock the master key lock box. return master key lock box to the supervisor.
step 4- unlock your tool box and inventory each tool.

A- if tools are present, proceed with your shift and duties. at the end of the shift, you reverse the above process.

b- if tool missing,
the prior shift stays put
specific tech who had that box signed out is the primary responsible person.
equipment tech had worked on is pulled from supply for inspecton
if the equipment went out the door to an aircraft, that aircraft is downed.
The O level squardron is alerted and thier entire shop / shift partites in finding the tool.

99 times out of 100, the tool is found.
if it is not, then it is what it is.

sometimes a tech may have signed out a tool box and did not do inventory and the tool was already missing therefore the previous shift and the parts repaired by that shifts tech are alos inspected. 

I remember once an allen wrench lost from our shop ended up involving the USS Enterprise because parts departed our I level maint, went out on truck via an "X REP", went to Norfolk airstation where the parts were in transit on a C130 in route to the West Coast.  Needless to say, the part was found in a F14D throttle quadrant.  Tiny micro switches required a tiny little allen wrench to adjust thier position.  The allen wrench was in the Throttle Quadrant.

It was finally found out that two shifts had expired before mid shift found the missing tool.

Reply #19
LOL i bet if you moved out of the house and left it like that.. it'd be perfect for a horror film after 20 years.

all of the tools i own are in my trunk. im thinking about getting a chest for them... i have a tray for small stuff like fusses, wrenches, screw drivers, small stuff like that.  the rest "float" around the recess in the miata.  the worst part about it, if we use my tools he takes them thinking their his. his service van is like a toy box, "can i has army man?" "army man awol"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)