Skip to main content
Topic: Anbody Shadow their Tool box? (Read 4691 times) previous topic - next topic

Anbody Shadow their Tool box?

Anybody else done this?  Its required in many industries now for tool control and prevention of FOD.  As I've worked with these boxes before it has become obvious you can be brutally efficient using them and it somewhat prevents losing tools.  Anyone else got their boxes setup like this?  Planning on starting mine tonight.

Reply #1
How do you mean by "shadowing"?
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
draw outlines around where the tool goes, and variations of.  We do it at work.  At home I started to, only because my memory is starting to fail. :hick:
1987 TC

Reply #3
No shadowing for me.I have everything where it needs to go,but I know my tools so well,and I have mild OCD that I clean and replace them every time I use them.I haven't heard the word "FOD" (foreign object damage) since my old Air Force days.LOL.The top drawer,the biggest,is for cool pieces for the Sport and items for the engine/differential swap that I haven't used yet.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
I have no space between my tools to draw anything.. I think I need another tool cabinet.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #5
Ahh. Mine is not "shadowed" in that sense, but I do have all of my sockets and wrenches stuck to racks in order, so if one's missing I know it.

Vinnie, I've got a drawer for small T-Bird parts too. It causes a bit of confusion for visitors to my garage, because I've got it labeled "Chicken parts" :hick:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #6
I have my sockets on racks as well.As far as labeling the drawer for "Chicken parts",Mine has a vinyl graphic I had made that simply states "For the Sport" and under the lid is a big "FPR" Australian decal (sweeeeet).. My friends didn't get it,but they don't need to,it's my tool box.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #7
Yep, I got all my sockets on racks also. Makes life easy, and a bit more portable.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #8
Quote from: vinnietbird;301891
No shadowing for me.I have everything where it needs to go,but I know my tools so well,and I have mild OCD that I clean and replace them every time I use them.I haven't heard the word "FOD" (foreign object damage) since my old Air Force days.LOL.The top drawer,the biggest,is for cool pieces for the Sport and items for the engine/differential swap that I haven't used yet.

You got it, dont want that screwdriver sucked through the turbo ;)  I finished two drawers tonight... its a lot of work, and it eats a lot of real estate in a hurry, but it does look pretty nice.

I have action packers for tbird parts stacked into a workbench of sorts lol

Reply #9
Yeah, there is no way I could do that, and my box is 60 X 24! The screwdriver drawer is way too full for such shenanigans, as is the area dedicated to extensions and ratchets. I think I'd need 2 more 60 X 24 tool boxes to be able to separate everything so nicely! I dunno... sounds like a solution in search of a problem to me. 

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

Reply #10
Quote from: ProTouring442;301948
Yeah, there is no way I could do that, and my box is 60 X 24! The screwdriver drawer is way too full for such shenanigans, as is the area dedicated to extensions and ratchets. I think I'd need 2 more 60 X 24 tool boxes to be able to separate everything so nicely! I dunno... sounds like a solution in search of a problem to me. 

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

Its really only required for aviation work, i.e. "where did I put that screwdriver?" as the helicopter/plane is spooling up on the tarmac.  The screwdriver drawer was the worst, lots of odd shapes and cutouts to fit everything.

Reply #11
Quote from: Sancho;301974
Its really only required for aviation work, i.e. "where did I put that screwdriver?" as the helicopter/plane is spooling up on the tarmac.  The screwdriver drawer was the worst, lots of odd shapes and cutouts to fit everything.

Yeah, for aviation it does make a lot of sense. Not exactly the sort of place you want to loose a screwdriver, or a socket!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

Reply #12
aAs  former Air Force man, it's habit for me to shadow my toolboxes.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #13
my dad has an at least 4000lb toolbox.  its a 3800 or whatever the biggest van gmc has (5500?).  he couldnt shadow his tools.  he'd get frustraited b/c he's got 2 trucks that need a repair and also has to do 3-5 PM's.. they're always on the opposite side of atlanta, so while he's in a hurry he would end up ripping the foam out cussin at it like a cheap prostitute.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

Reply #14
I have a service truck, There's no way in hell I can shadow anything.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +