Skip to main content
Topic: Hey I finally killed an AOD (Read 2396 times) previous topic - next topic

Hey I finally killed an AOD

Reply #15
Man that sucks...but at least it didn't break on you in the spring.  Sounds like the buildup you have planned should really be an improvement. 

I think AOD's are pretty good trannies.  Mine is dead stock with 180000+ on it and has never been touched other than regular fluid/filter changes.  Still shifts like it always did (now that I say that it will probably puke on me).  If and when it does puke, I will have to do some serious thinking about a 5 speed swap...but thats just me.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #16
Quote from: 50tbrd88;289583
Man that sucks...but at least it didn't break on you in the spring.  Sounds like the buildup you have planned should really be an improvement. 

I think AOD's are pretty good trannies.  Mine is dead stock with 180000+ on it and has never been touched other than regular fluid/filter changes.  Still shifts like it always did (now that I say that it will probably puke on me).  If and when it does puke, I will have to do some serious thinking about a 5 speed swap...but thats just me.

It was a no brainer for me. :hick:
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #17
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;289492
If you'd installed a shift kit when you did the engine mods, I'd bet it would still be fine...

I'm just gonna go ahead and agree with this one :D
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #18
Quote from: shame302;289461
Meh, Do a manual trans swap all ready....

X2, you definatly wont regret it if you enjoy driving the car at all....

Reply #19
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;289492
If you'd installed a shift kit when you did the engine mods, I'd bet it would still be fine...

Stock, my Super Coupe AOD slipped badly when I manually shifted it 6000, after the kit no slip at all... Over nine years later and probably 800 drag strip passes, it still does fairly good but isn't as firm as when I first installed the kit...

Quote from: V8Demon;289657
I'm just gonna go ahead and agree with this one :D

It might still be alive but I was just lazy and let it go. Now I'm going to pay for it but I'll have a better trans :hick:

Quote from: shame302;289461
Meh, Do a manual trans swap all ready....

Quote from: 1WLD BRD;289689
X2, you definatly wont regret it if you enjoy driving the car at all....

But the sleeper factor of a column shifter AOD car is just too much fun;)

If I did a manual trans swap it would have to be a T-56. Why bother with a breakage pr0ne T5. If I went with a T-56 swap it would probably cost more than the AOD replacement.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #20
Quote from: thunderjet302;289710

But the sleeper factor of a column shifter AOD car is just too much fun;)

If I did a manual trans swap it would have to be a T-56. Why bother with a breakage pr0ne T5. If I went with a T-56 swap it would probably cost more than the AOD replacement.

who is gonna see that when they are at the stoplight beside you... try racing another car, not a semi...:D

Reply #21
an aod that slips is nothing but garbage.  once it slips there is no true fixing it.  this is a replace only job.  it will take 2 guys, a couple beers, a garage, and a jack.  ok well it took us 2 days.  but it was DONE by mid day on the second day.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

Reply #22
I have blown up 2 AOD behind v-6's. One at 160-170,000 or so, and another at 115,000. I also blew one behind a 86 5.0 with no mods with higher mileage.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #23
Mine had 220k (original trans) when it started to let go out of nowhere. This was shortly after the stock motor came out and a new one went in though. The Mustang one that went in to replace it was much better behaved and had a slightly higher stall. A new transmission is a huge difference after working with one at the end of its life. Adjusting the TV cable to get more pressure helped bring it to life more also.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #24
Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the AOD.

I guess I am lucky to not have experienced that problem yet. But then again I put shift kits in my cars right after I buy them.

The only AOD I currently have that makes me nervous is the one in my 95 F-150.
We tow our race cars with that truck and it has a 302. I am not worried about the 302 tho. The trans looks to be the weak link in that truck.
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Reply #25
is it just me or when i see an auxiliary oil cooler on a aod car i think "yep its burned up the transmission already" or "i wonder if their coolant lines dumped too"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)