Skip to main content
Topic: Hey I finally killed an AOD (Read 2397 times) previous topic - next topic

Hey I finally killed an AOD

Well my factory stock AOD is almost dead. 2nd gear is slipping bad, and I mean bad. Anything over 1/4 throttle causes the trans to not want to shift out of 2nd gear. If I hold my foot to the floor it will run up to the fuel cut off at 6200 rpm before it even thinks about shifting to 3rd gear. Well really it slips in 2nd and 3rd. Drive it with 1/4 throttle or less and it has all 4 gears. Anything more and it slips like crazy. Hopefully it will last for another 6 weeks and the last few car shows. I'm not going to bother to fix the AOD till spring as at this point it's not worth it. The new AOD will have an A overdrive servo, 2" overdrive band, a worked over valve body, hardened input shaft, and a 2600 rpm stall converter. It should be a hell of a lot more fun than the stock AOD;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1
Meh, Do a manual trans swap all ready....
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #2
How's the fluid? Does it look or smell burned?  It's funny..I still have my original, 100K, V6 AOD behind an H.O. in my '88 and it still shifts tight at WOT.  Maybe the Transgo shift kit is keeping it alive (crosses fingers).
1988 Thunderbird
306 HO w/ A9P processor
AOD w/ Transgo Reprogrammer
Full Digital Dash w/ twin Cyberdyne A-pillar gauges 
245/50/16 Tires on Snowflakes
Engine swap - CA smog compliant

Reply #3
I have 3 AODs under my belt. One was bad when I bought my 87 5.0. It only had 2nd and AOD, no 3rd and 1st. The second AOD I broke the output shaft off rocking it in the snow (violently, I was extremely mad). The third tranny was in my current 83, the valve body croaked and I only had reverse. So I drove all the way home in reverse :). That was a cheap fix, I think it was like $180 for the valve body, fluid, filter and labor. Now it shifts like a creamy dream.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #4
^^^ I guarantee it. That sucks man....you shoulda put a shift kit in!!!! Im sure the TransGo is GREAT too, but all I know is the Baumann one I put in has kept the fluid perfect and the shifts have not lost any bite for over a year and honestly I beat the youuu know what out of it. Overdrive I didnt really mess with, bumped up the pressure a little and it actually seems anyway like it will go in if im NOT totally off the gas, in fact its gone in at about 1/2 a pedal once or twice :eek: and you hear the sloooooow rpm drop....honestly kinda reminds me of 1st to 2nd back when I first did the HO.

Im convinced that these are pretty durable units, they just arent programmed anywhere neeear right. Doesnt take much to get em there tho. ;) Now here comes kingcars to smack me upside the head but I LOVE my AOD.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #5
I've blown a C5 and an AOD. I expect my 4R70W to last at least 150k after the work I did to it at 50k miles. Then again, it is a Ford transmission.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #6
I blew a 4R70W in an E-250 van, and the AOD was getting weak in my '91 T-Bird when I sold it, but my worst luck with trannies has been with Nissans. I went through four 5-speeds in my old truck (every 60K miles, like clockwork, the countershaft bearing would disintegrate).
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #7
Well atleast with the factory AOD going it gives me an excuse to get a nice converter;)

I still have this goofy idea to do a 4R70W swap but it would cost more than an upgraded AOD.....
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #8
Check the obvious before you call the trans dead...Fluid condition and TV cable operation.  If those look OK, then pull the pan and make sure the filter is clean and seated on the gasket. If those look OK, then you could always remove the valve body and make sure no valves are sticking. Lastly, pull the tailhousing and verify the governor isn't stuck, this can cause an over rev issue before shift. 
The AOD for the most part is pretty strong for most V8 applications, it's usually the small input shaft for direct lock-up in 3rd and 4th that is the weak link, not the clutch packs.
1988 Thunderbird
306 HO w/ A9P processor

Reply #9
What 88Bluebird said, especially the part about the TV cable... Double especially if it started all at once...

With a Trans-Go shift you can run one with the TV cable loose and won't hurt it... Will shift early and soft but won't slip, at least mine doesn't....

Reply #10
Quote from: 88BlueBird;289481
Check the obvious before you call the trans dead...Fluid condition and TV cable operation.  If those look OK, then pull the pan and make sure the filter is clean and seated on the gasket. If those look OK, then you could always remove the valve body and make sure no valves are sticking. Lastly, pull the tailhousing and verify the governor isn't stuck, this can cause an over rev issue before shift. 
The AOD for the most part is pretty strong for most V8 applications, it's usually the small input shaft for direct lock-up in 3rd and 4th that is the weak link, not the clutch packs.

TV cable works fine and is adjusted properly (I just want a new one for the new trans) but the fluid is burnt with a black tint. I just changed the fluid and filter last year and it was fine. It started to slip bad 2 weeks ago. It had been acting funny since late last year though. I dropped the pan this weekend for a fluid and filter change and the bottom of the pan had a bunch of burt clutch pack (black ) on it.

The only thing I can figure that killed it is some full throttle expressway on ramp runs to check to make sure the replacement rear axle shaft resolved my vibration problem;). It has been funky after that. The trans is completely factory stock with 131,000 miles and 21 years on it. It's had a good run.

I figured that the couple of times I had it at the track last year would have killed it but I lasted through that like a champ...

Reply #11
Ya, I'd say you got the "goodie" out of it then :) I know you are putting a bit more power to your trans than I am too. Not a bad run at 130K miles trans that was only designed for 155HP motor. I'm anxious to hear about your plans for replacement.
1988 Thunderbird
306 HO w/ A9P processor

Reply #12
If you'd installed a shift kit when you did the engine mods, I'd bet it would still be fine...

Stock, my Super Coupe AOD slipped badly when I manually shifted it 6000, after the kit no slip at all... Over nine years later and probably 800 drag strip passes, it still does fairly good but isn't as firm as when I first installed the kit...

Reply #13
The '83 5.0 Cougar we had went through 7 AODs while it was still under the extended warranty.

My '88 Town Car slipped in and out of o/d

My '92 Thunderbird 5.0 slipped out of o/d

My '89 Mk VII didn't have reverse or o/d when I got it.

So yeah, I've never been really impressed with the AOD.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #14
Quote from: 88BlueBird;289487
Ya, I'd say you got the "goodie" out of it then :) I know you are putting a bit more power to your trans than I am too. Not a bad run at 130K miles trans that was only designed for 155HP motor. I'm anxious to hear about your plans for replacement.

This trans: http://www.silverfoxtrans.com/silverfoxtrans.com/TM_AOD-550.html

and this valve body, SPT-2:
http://www.silverfoxtrans.com/silverfoxtrans.com/VB_AOD.html

This guy really knows his stuff and is on clickclickracing.com.

I could get an AOD built local by a guy who does AODs for 9 second 5.0 Mustangs but the cost for the trans (a non lock up btw), converter, and instalation (he wants to instal the tranny so he can set the TV pressure and make sure everything works properly) is $2600 :eek: It is rated for 700 hp and has a 3 year waranty.

If I go with the Silverfox AOD I can instal it myself, save some money, and still have lock up. Plus I'll have a trans my GT40 5.0 can't kill :D