Skip to main content
Topic: Jon and Kate plus eight (Read 927 times) previous topic - next topic

Jon and Kate plus eight

me and the wife watch the show. we also watch a lot of Chelsea Lately, and E! news. they talk a lot about child labor laws with the kids being on tv.

what is your opinion on if there needs to be an investigation or not? I personally don't see any child labor going on.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Jon and Kate plus eight

Reply #1
i havnt scratched the surface of that show n what not.  but i can see why someone would say its labor.  being contracted to work for a network tv program.  but they're minors so wouldnt the parents get the final say so anyway?  its a dospoogeentary right?  dramatic with so many people and suck.  if they are infact "working" what the hell is wrong with the "working" conditions?  it sounds like since its gossip.  gossip is opinion and obviously they dont approve of the parents.  look at it lawfully... i see nothing wrong with it as long as the parents can provide for the children.  with a big tv contract comes money.. the kids are gettin taken care of.

its all bullshiznit controversy lingering in those news psychos people's heads with the ?octomom?  i honestly dont understand the intense infatuation.  is she not ideal enough or something?  fat ass cant breathe on disability mothers can raise kids, but she cant?  where the hell is this good bad convoluted line in the sand?  jealousy?  impotency issues?

my mom who's in her 50's said to me.. back in the day when you worked on a farm. 1800's.  people had 12-15 kids to.. guess what?  work the farm.  there was no controversy over that back then.. whats so different now?

bleh/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

Jon and Kate plus eight

Reply #2
I've often thought of this problem. While I don't think kids should be banned from being on TV, I do think it needs to be reined in a bit. These superstar children (the Olsen twins, Miley Cyrus to name but a few) have had their childhoods, and thus any chance whatsoever of a normal life, absolutely destroyed in the name of corporate greed. The corporations (Disney, TV networks) back a dumptruck full of money up to the front door of the parents' house, and the parents essentially sell their children into slavery. When the kids are finished with their fleeting fame and their public has had enough the corporations simply dump them and then create the next "big thing". The child is left an emotional wreck who more often than not ends up a broken down drug addict that we all make fun of when their scruffy mug is plastered all over the news when they get busted.

They've made fun of the problem on The Simpsons a few times (when Krusty "bought" the Spuckler children, when Apu had the octuplets) so Hollywood is certainly aware of what they're doing...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Jon and Kate plus eight

Reply #3
i see what you mean TC, but i dont see this as slavery.  the parents have the authority over the children and yeh they bought in... i mean sold out.  its not like the parents are signing over the children's souls or anything.  this show will be canceled before the children get to middle school or highschool, so i dont see extreme social trauma during the "finding yourself" stage in life.

the fact its controversial is only because of black n white paper vs opinions. technically the children are working.  but are the children being cheated($) and have to do manual labor or even live in unsatisfactory conditions? no. no. and no.  also is it working to have a camera follow you around?  so you signed up for some people to film your life for a boat load of cash... is that a job(if at all) which would violate a labor law?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jon and Kate plus eight

Reply #4
Well at least they aren't on wellfare. But then again if the only way of making ends meet because you took fertility drugs that made you have a litter of pups big enough to rival a Great Dane, is too pimp your life out on TV, well then that's up to the "parents".  I just don't get the fascination with reality TV.  I liken it to NASCAR fans who like the race, but secretly can't wait for the inevitable train wreck of cars and ensuing carnage to happen.  Course what to I know, I'm to busy trying to keep  up with my personal circus act!;)

Jon and Kate plus eight

Reply #5
wow, I think your a little strong on that aren't you TC? Yes what your describe does happen.. but I'm not sure about the "more often than not".. my first thought there is like everything else when it DOES happen, it get's the media spotlight... when it doesn't it's ignored, is well known that dirty laundry sells.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_actor <- yes I'm lazy and let somebody else do the research for me!

Jerry Mathers graduated from Notre Dame High School, in Sherman Oaks, California, in 1967. He went to college at the University of California, Berkeley and graduated with a BA degree in philosophy in 1973.
Jerry Mathers was The Beaver on "Leave it to beaver" Also from the same page....

Effects

Many actors' careers are short-lived, and this is also true of child actors. Peter Ostrum, for example, is now a successful large-animal veterinarian after a starring role in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Most notably, Shirley Temple became a successful public figure and diplomat, eventually becoming U.S. Ambassador to Ghana, then United States Department of State Chief of Protocol under the Nixon Administration, and then in the late 1980s U.S. Ambassador to Czechoslovakia. Brandon Cruz is a successful punk rocker, after a co-starring role in The Courtship of Eddie's Father, Jenny Lewis, formerly of Troop Beverly Hills, is a well-known indie rock musician, and Kirk Cameron is a successful minister, after a co-starring role in Growing Pains.
 Tragic and well publicized examples exist in which a child actor falls into self-destructive behavior. However, it has not been demonstrated that this hazard occurs more frequently in child actors than in the general population. One study by Lisa Rapport, Ph.D. concluded that[INDENT] "the present findings also indicate that the environment of the entertainment industry is not necessarily toxic to normal development. Instead, the results support the well-established theory that good parenting serves as a buffer for life stress."[1][/INDENT]
I think that's the bottom line..."well-established theory that good parenting serves as a buffer for life stress."
with bad parenting even kids that aren't actors could go the way you talk of... happens quite often actually.
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

Jon and Kate plus eight

Reply #6
Quote from: ~AC;276254
my mom who's in her 50's said to me.. back in the day when you worked on a farm. 1800's.  people had 12-15 kids to.. guess what?  work the farm.  there was no controversy over that back then.. whats so different now?

bleh/

I grew up on a farm, and when you were old enough to hold a rake and know what to do with it, you were picking blueberries. I barely remember going down to the barn to watch my brothers toss hay down from the loft for the cattle, with a solid steel pitchfork. These kids are not experiencing any kind of labour.

Jon and Kate plus eight

Reply #7
Quote from: oldraven;277376
I grew up on a farm, and when you were old enough to hold a rake and know what to do with it, you were picking blueberries. I barely remember going down to the barn to watch my brothers toss hay down from the loft for the cattle, with a solid steel pitchfork. These kids are not experiencing any kind of labour.

that was my point.  back then labour involving children was the norm.  its in complete contrast to these kids on tv.  they're being spoiled more than harmed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]