Skip to main content
Topic: hey turbo guys. (Read 641 times) previous topic - next topic

hey turbo guys.

I've read about turbos for years now and i was just wondering what you guys thought about turbo heat.  Rx7's for instance can get so hot that the owners usually pop the hood after gettin after it for a while.  i've heard they can bake b/c oil stops flowing to it.  i've also heard of people who cant keep a turbo alive and this sounds like something that could help some people.  cant the exhaust side glow hot?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

hey turbo guys.

Reply #1
the only time I have seen one run that hot was when we had the timing way off.  otherwise I have never had a problem with mine getting hot.

hey turbo guys.

Reply #2
If you can't keep a turbo alive, don't own one.  A constant supply of oil, and most importantly, a shutdown routine are essential.  I let my car idle for between 45 seconds to up to a minute and a half depending upon how I've driven it before shut down.  The only time oil stops flowing to the turbo is when you shut it down.  Shut if of hot and the oil remaining in the center section will burn and turn into pen 15e.  That's what kills turbos.  Water cooling the center section helps to a degree, but you still need to follow a shutdown procedure.  Also, maintanence is critical.  Keep the oil changed, and use the right stuff.
    The original IHI in my 88TC lasted 168000 miles.  It would've lasted longer, but the car did have two teenage owners before me, and I know the maintanence was lacking. I get to start fresh with a T3 that only has 2000 miles on a quality upgrade/rebuild.  This one will be taken care of.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

hey turbo guys.

Reply #3
I've had the turbo and manifold in my old 89 mazda 626 that I abused on a regular basis glowing like a mofookie on multiple occasions. Let it idle for a minute or so every time and never had an issue. I ended up blowing the diff apart and gave the turbo to some kid down the road. The turbo is in a probe now and doing just fine last I heard. Its all in how you take care of them, let them cool down real good before shut down and keep the car running right and they'll last forever.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

hey turbo guys.

Reply #4
yea i thought so b/c ive seen this discussion in all forums that deal with turbos.  88FoxBird know what i mean about people getting their turbos glowing.  Evo guys, subaru guys, mazda guys, and the such.  a lot of kids (imo) dont think about how a turbo works, everyone i've talked to about "what having a turbo is like" that knows what they're doing, have always talked about the "minor hassle" at the end.  interesting note above about the oil left in a glowing turbo would get messy quick with a 16yr old driver.  thats probably a mistake by some even cautious owners b/c they might think they can pop the hood for a min or so instead of letting the collant to do its job.  we should make a TC ownership manual of tricks like this.  people buying one would read it even if they didnt join i'd say.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)