Skip to main content
Topic: box of goodies (Read 2719 times) previous topic - next topic

box of goodies

Reply #30
The Ultrasuede is still available in that pattern, just not in the original color used on the 20ths. At least it was a few years ago.

www.ultrasuede.com

The piping can be easily matched. And most people have found matching tan vinyl without too much trouble. It's just the suede part that is troublesome. I've seen quite a few people substitute a tan perforated cloth for the suede.

All of the original material has been looooonnnnggggg gone. I did extensive research on this about 5 years ago. Scott also has checked into it.

box of goodies

Reply #31
Quote from: EricCoolCats;265693
The Ultrasuede is still available in that pattern, just not in the original color used on the 20ths.

http://www.ultrasuede.com

The piping can be easily matched. And most people have found matching tan vinyl without too much trouble. It's just the suede part that is troublesome. I've seen quite a few people substitute a tan perforated cloth for the suede.

All of the original material has been looooonnnnggggg gone. I did extensive research on this about 5 years ago.

My mother-in-law is usually a boat upolsterer but sometimes does little things she actually made the cover on my creeper. I think if we could find a close match she could make new ones pretty easily. She's been working with vinyl for a long time now, she's made plenty of real interesting things. I've been after her for a few years now to do my car.

box of goodies

Reply #32
Sorry, edited my post after you did.
Check here: http://www.ultrasuede.com/products/custom/index.html

If there is any hope that they have older material, or could re-make the new material, that would be it.

The upholstery shop that did my interior can easily make good imitation 20th seats if they had originals to work from. The Ultrasuede would still be an issue, though. I think you'll find that across the board. But hell, if she wants to do it, that works...

box of goodies

Reply #33
Quote from: EricCoolCats;265695
Sorry, edited my post after you did.
Check here: http://www.ultrasuede.com/products/custom/index.html

If there is any hope that they have older material, or could re-make the new material, that would be it.

The upholstery shop that did my interior can easily make good imitation 20th seats if they had originals to work from. The Ultrasuede would still be an issue, though. I think you'll find that across the board. But hell, if she wants to do it, that works...

Nah its okay, I wouldn't want to give her more work than she already had unless someone was genuinely into it.

box of goodies

Reply #34
I am in a unique situation here where I think it is prudent I get some good quality pics of the fabric.

I actually learned a lot about the material today by by looking at the head rest.

The backing being a shade of some blue/gray is not in no means easy to peel off the suede.  years of many events where the owner slides in and out of the seat must loosen the glue that holds the two. 

I want to get many shots of the covers to preserve thier original layout as manufactured by ford.
I find it odd, there are no typical ford pn's that i can see.

while looking at the head rest cover, I wondered why the red piping was not added here as well.

are high quality pics useful?
who to email them to>?

box of goodies

Reply #35
well, soaking the fabric with some oxyclean was done last night. Got some hangers and let them drip dry in the garage.

Tossed them all in the dryer today,, gentle whatever cycle.  I decided that wasnt a good idea anymore because the factory plastic clips might tangle and rip the fabric.

pulled them out , they will take probably 10 years to dry.  Hoping for sun tomorrow.

Driver side cover is in the worse shape, saw that when they came out of the box.  Its 1000 times in better shape than my driver back though but the downside is my leather is in better shape than this one.

I have an option though because the pass side cover is what i consider to be  near perfect.  Problem- the little latch on the lower back of the seat ,,well,, The hole for that latch will be on the wrong side and this means I will have to cut in a new one while mending the old.

Here is the thread Eric was point out of the fabric i found.
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=18232&highlight=fabric

box of goodies

Reply #36
Might be a stupid suggestion but could you flip the armrest or foam itself to make the cover work the other way?
1986 Cougar LS

box of goodies

Reply #37
Im not real sure yet.  Ill find out tomorrow when I pull in the garage.

I think the condition of the lenses I got are better than mine, might shave those ummmm,, well ,,
those nipple looking things off the lenses so in the future its easier to clean them on the car.

I am totally no good at doing lense cleaning. Tried it a couple times and keep screwing it up.

box of goodies

Reply #38
Quote from: jcassity;265755
Im not real sure yet.  Ill find out tomorrow when I pull in the garage.

I think the condition of the lenses I got are better than mine, might shave those ummmm,, well ,,
those nipple looking things off the lenses so in the future its easier to clean them on the car.

I am totally no good at doing lense cleaning. Tried it a couple times and keep screwing it up.

i've seen that its now common to see, well to use an import term, "shaved lesns."  where you sand away the letters and nipples off of lenses and turn out good.  if a bunch of college students that dont know shiznit can get a good turn out.. i know you can perfect it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)