Skip to main content
Topic: Cash for Clunkers plan pulled from stimulus (Read 10904 times) previous topic - next topic

Cash for Clunkers plan pulled from stimulus

Reply #30
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;279682
Few people with 20+ year old cars are going for a brand new one (most people driving old cars are doing so because they can only afford old cars). Who, exactly, is this bill supposed to target?

[/URL]

Hey I drive a 21 year old and 14 year old Thunderbird because I want to. I could afford a new car but screw it I'll save my money instead of giving it to a bank in payments and interest. Maybe I'm just crazy :hick: Plus if I had a new car what would I have to tinker with? Granted I'd only be trading in the 95 (there is no way in hell I'd trade in my 88 EVER) but then I'd have a new car that *won't have any problems* that I can thinker with;) Plus Ford no longer makes Thunderbirds so I have no incentive to buy a new car :p
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #31
This was done to appease the greenies without giving us scmucks a real deal.  The whole thing looks stupid, which begs the question, are they really that dumb or are thet really that smart?

Reply #32
I dont see what the big problem is. Its completely voluntary. I could see someone trading in their old beater pickup that belches smoke and gets 13 mpg and getting a new focus or cobalt for around 12-13g's instead of 16-17k. I myself would go for a base yaris if I wanted a cheap economy car but its USA-made only.

Its not like theyre gonna come knocking on our door telling us to give them our keys so they can smash our cars.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #33
Quote from: bhazard;279751
I dont see what the big problem is. Its completely voluntary. I could see someone trading in their old beater pickup that belches smoke and gets 13 mpg and getting a new focus or cobalt for around 12-13g's instead of 16-17k. I myself would go for a base yaris if I wanted a cheap economy car but its USA-made only.

Its not like theyre gonna come knocking on our door telling us to give them our keys so they can smash our cars.

Yes, the way it was done if fine IMO. Maybe it'll help sell a few cars - God knows the car companies can use the business.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #34
more info from a diy mind,,

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4322912.html

When pondering his most wanted car list,, here is a quote of the Grand National.........I love this.............

In a similar vein, the Buick Regal Type T speaks to me. It's missing the Darth Vader black paint job of the far dearer Grand National, but the turbo V6 remains. It embarrassed more than a few hot cars back in the day and seemed like a tasty, oddball car that somehow escaped from GM's skunkworks.

Reply #36
yesterday it was over.  Figured there would be someone posting on this but i guess i got to it first:D

Reply #37
It's not over yet:

http://money.cnn.com/2009/07/30/autos/cash_for_clunkers_suspended/index.htm
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #38
The problem with this progam is that it gets added to the defecit that our children and grandchildren are being stuck with.

I have no problem helping people in need, and there are quite a few people that need help, but anyone that can afford a new car doesn't need a taxpayer-funded rebate.

And no, this won't jump-start auto sales as the talking heads have been saying all morning.  When the program ends, people will stop buying until another rebate is offered.  Domestic manufacturers have been stuck in the rebate rut for years and now our government is doing the same thing.
1990 Mark VII LSC
1990 Mark VII LSC SE
1969 Cougar 351W

Reply #39
Truer words were ne'r spoken. Kinda silly for one guy to subsidize another guy buying a new car. IMO, if the manufacturers are that hot for cash for clunkers they should band together and offer (and fund) their own program..
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #40
What bothers me about it are:

1. The dealers are required to destroy the engine and crush the car.
2. It takes affordable transportation off the road and away from the people who most need it.
3. It hurts people who wish to keep their cars by removing a source of parts.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

Reply #41
humm

so riddle me this one bat man,,,,,,,,,

lets give away super deals on interest rates so someone making 30k / yr can afford a 600,000.00 dollar house with payments spread across 30-50 years.

Phale

lets give away super deals on cars so someone making 30k/year can afford a new car payment (maybe even two) spread across 10 years.

Phale again.

lets give away incentive to the people to go into debt more with the money they dont have.

Phale.

I cant wait for everyone up on capital hill to drop dead.

Phale leadership.  Phale people who didnt listen last fall , just wanted everyone to have a little bit of what i have so they dont have to work for it.  Atleast some of those phale people are finally going the way of common sense as we tried to describe was coming all last fall.  Its too late,,,,,,,,,,for now.  Phale people aren't quite done fugging up my country.

its no wonder the rest of the world has our jobs.  Free speech could be our only saving grace, otherwise we are to the way of england.

Reply #42
Well, they added another $2B to the program. All this is doing is propping up an already over-inflated industry.

Reply #43
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waj2KrKYTZo&feature=player_embedded

What an unbelievable waste. This car should be resold. To my eyes, this screams that there is overcapacity in the car market.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

Reply #44
Yay! Guess we should all go out and buy new cars.