Skip to main content
Topic: RIP Boyd.... (Read 2523 times) previous topic - next topic

RIP Boyd....

Reply #1
That's pretty messed up...only 63 years old too.

I'd probably feel more loss had he actually worked on his company's creations for the last 10 years or so. As it was, he just signed his name to them and had the first turnkey test drive. Although he did a lot for charity and for helping kids and families at car shows.

Wonder how the shop is going to run now...

RIP Boyd....

Reply #2
WHAT a shocker. The hot-rodding community is at a great loss for sure. And yeah he mighta been an ass to some people but he sure did make some neat stuff.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

RIP Boyd....

Reply #3
as much as he seemed to be a dick, alot of his employees stayed, and as far as you can tell from the show, theres not way they didnt get payed  well.
At least we still got foose
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

RIP Boyd....

Reply #4
I feel bad for his family, but I feel no loss for a scam artist.

RIP Boyd....

Reply #5
Quote from: oldraven;206613
I feel bad for his family, but I feel no loss for a scam artist.

WOW!!! That's a pretty serious allegation. I'm just DYING to hear the justification for that.

RIP Boyd....

Reply #6
Bout time.
1987 Tbird 5.0 swap, go fast mods coming soon....

RIP Boyd....

Reply #7
Quote from: *MAYHEM*;206616
WOW!!! That's a pretty serious allegation. I'm just DYING to hear the justification for that.

Selling off New builds as originals, and having them registered as such to avoid taxes and emissions regulations. Not to mention that his customers can turn around and sell a brand new car to some unsuspecting schmoe as an original '32 Ford (as an example, and likely the most popular hot rod out there). He was taken to federal court, he did make a guilty plea, and he was a scam artist. A negative influence in our hobby. And if he was anything like he portrayed himself on his show in real life, then he was an arse as a person too.

I know. Speak well of the dead, right? Sorry about that, but I make it a habit not to be a fake.

RIP Boyd....

Reply #8
oddly, I just got done reading the March issue of "Auto Restorer" in which they said he was hospitalized, had surgery, and was recovering.  Apparently not.  Not a fan of his communication skills, but he sure did have an eye for what a Rod could look like.
1987 TC

RIP Boyd....

Reply #9
how did he die?
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
TrickFlow cam 224/232-542/563
Victor Jr. intake CNC ported
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
UPR K-member,A-Arms,and coil-overs
UPR upper/lower control arms
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
(coming soon Tremec 3550)
The Finished Product
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/03grinnie/T-bird/

RIP Boyd....

Reply #10
Quote from: 347Thunder;206639
how did he die?

My guess is it was from the stress induced by working with his wife AND his ex-wife. That'd kill any man.

RIP Boyd....

Reply #11
Quote from: 347Thunder;206639
how did he die?

The latest report I had heard was that he actually passed away last night, not this morning, and it was from Cirrhosis of the liver.

Please don't quote me on that one just yet, as I'm not 100% sure if it's correct yet or not.
'86 cougar gone to the big yard.
'86&'88 Jeep Comanches.

RIP Boyd....

Reply #12
never liked his cars, and hated the show. but still its never a good thing when someone goes that young!

rip

RIP Boyd....

Reply #13
Quote from: venom_cat_86;206645
The latest report I had heard was that he actually passed away last night, not this morning, and it was from Cirrhosis of the liver.

A disease caused by excessive alcohol cunsumption...

Which is caused by having to work with your wife AND your ex-wife. ;)

RIP Boyd....

Reply #14
*MAYHEM*, while I'm not going to say I disagree with you, I will also say that there are other causes of Cirrhosis.  One of them being diabetes.  Being a diabetic myself, I have looked into and researched this in extent.

http://www.medicinenet.com/cirrhosis/page3.htm#tocf

If you have the time, give that a read.
'86 cougar gone to the big yard.
'86&'88 Jeep Comanches.