Skip to main content
Topic: Cat on the rack... (Read 963 times) previous topic - next topic

Cat on the rack...

Had the cat up on the rack yesterday for a good thorough inspection. Good news is it's VERY clean. No signs of serious rust problems or previously repaired damage. (Huge relief) Being an 18 yr old car in Ohio, this really surprised me.

Bad news is the exhaust is a mess. I gots NO lers. :eek: Someone apparently removed the lers and installed straight tubes as a replacement. Well, the exhaust was all going to get changed anyway but now I'm worried about getting pulled over for it. On the other hand, while it's not a quiet system, it's not NEARLY as loud as I would have expected from a non-baffled exhaust. I have been sitting next to a cop at a red light and didn't even get a raised eyebrow when he had his window down.

I'm still confused on one point, though; I wrote down the digits on the rear end tag and checked them when I got home.

445C
SL0BA887k12

According to the info in the tech section of Cool Cats this would be a locking AND non-locking limited slip. I'm also lost as to what ratio it is. Help?

I did fix one minor thing while I was under there; someone had apparently had the left cornering lamp out and put it in upsidedown. (it was shining back past the driver door. I flipped it over and now it points where it aughtta. :D

Cat on the rack...

Reply #1
Quote from: *MAYHEM*;104950

445C
3L08A887k12

3.08 geared 8.8  (assuming im correct and the few numbers i replaced in the quote are correct)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Cat on the rack...

Reply #2
Quote from: SLEEPER T-BIRD 87;104951
3.08 geared 8.8  (assuming im correct and the few numbers i replaced in the quote are correct)

Thanks for the corrections. I'm old, my eyes are bad and the tags was pretty dirty in spots. Makes sense now.

Cat on the rack...

Reply #3
Locking and non locking limited slip in FordSpeak are the same thing (at least when it comes to these cars). These cars had a clutch-and-disc style limited slip.The "locking" was actually friction between the clutches and discs. There was no physical "lock".
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Cat on the rack...

Reply #4
But there are different specs for locking and non-locking LSDs. I knew the 88 XR7s only came with the 8.8 locker, I was more concerned with the gear ratio, but the tag confused me. Just read it wrong.