Skip to main content
Topic: Headlight Flash? 1995 XR7 4.6l (Read 1699 times) previous topic - next topic

Headlight Flash? 1995 XR7 4.6l

I bought my first Cougar 2 months ago and I love it. I just wonder if the cat has a headlight flash. I mean, if I pull the multifunctional switch, should it flash without burning headlights, or not? I have no owner's manual and I have some discussions with a merchandiser...

Re: Headlight Flash? 1995 XR7 4.6l

Reply #1
It should.  THe only way to tell is to have someone stand out front and test it, or pull up to a garage, turn off the lights, and try it.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

Reply #2
Again: A dealer told me the cat isn't equipped with a headlight flash function. I can't believe that...

Reply #3
Again: A dealer told me the cat isn't equipped with a headlight flash function.
  :bs:

Wow, that stumped me, so I actually had to go out to my car and test it myself  :slap: :  Yep, you're supposed to have the flash-to-pass option.  As you guessed it, it should happen when you pull back on the multifunction switch.  It even works when the key is in the off position. :wtf: It doesn't matter if the headlights are on or not.

I've got a 1995 service manual on cdrom, so I'll take a look and see if I can help you out. :cool:

Joe

EDIT:  okay, check fuse #2 (cigar lighter) to make sure it's okay.  If that's alright, it looks like you're gonna have to look into the multifunction switch.