Skip to main content
Topic: Swap wiring question,88 harness in 86. (Read 1698 times) previous topic - next topic

Swap wiring question,88 harness in 86.

I got another wiring question for ya.  87-88 5.0L harness in 86 car.  I know I need to make a conversion harness for the connectors that do mate, but is it safe to assume that the matching color wires go together.  I'm talking about the 2 connectors next to the brake booster on the main engine harness, and there are different style connectors on the car harness, so they do not mate.  Can I just match the same colors up and be set or not. :dunno:  'Cuz I know sometimes the same color wires are used more than once, and I'm havin a hell of a time findin some of them in the EVTM, and am not sure what some of them are for. Then tryin to track down where they go is kinda tricky. :shoothead    I just want to make sure I don't short anything. I got just about everything else figured out.  Any info would be helpful.  Hopefully I can get this beast fired up soon.
-Jerrod

1986 Tbird, former 3.8L, 302 SO shortblock, TW heads, TFS Stage 1 cam, Crane Gold Rockers, BBK ceramic shorties, T5, SPEC stage 1, pro-m, 24# injectors, other odds 'n ends.

Re: Swap wiring question,88 harness in 86.

Reply #1
I'm 99% sure you can match wire colors and be OK. When I did my swap I got about half of my info from a '86 EVTM and the rest from a '87 wiring diagram. Every wire I checked were color for color.

Re: Swap wiring question,88 harness in 86.

Reply #2
Ok. Thanks for info Tom.
-Jerrod

1986 Tbird, former 3.8L, 302 SO shortblock, TW heads, TFS Stage 1 cam, Crane Gold Rockers, BBK ceramic shorties, T5, SPEC stage 1, pro-m, 24# injectors, other odds 'n ends.