Skip to main content
Topic: Mods for clock? (Read 1548 times) previous topic - next topic

Mods for clock?

So I've got this clock in my dash, and it's redundant.  I want rid of it, what can I use the space for that's more awesome than an ugly green clock?

I guess I need mod suggestions.  i think it would be cool to have some sort of LCD display there for something, but I can't think of a good way to execute this, parts wise.  I see guys with gauges there, so that might be cool.  Ideas?

Mods for clock?

Reply #1
Do you have a tach in your car? If not, fit a small face tach there. i did a long time ago on my other Bird. Used some black textured plastic from another panel to fab a small square panel with rounded corners, a hole in the middle to fit the tach, then mounted it all in the clock spot. Looked great.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Mods for clock?

Reply #2
I have the full digital cluster.  I carried it over from the LX along with the EATC and HVAC plenum.  It would be nice to have a tach I can actually trust, though.  A guy in my shop offered me a 2 1/16 AutoMeter trans temp gauge.  I might see how that goes.

Mods for clock?

Reply #3
I think a digital tranny temp gauge would fit in nicely.  Green display would match your digital cluster. 

I will put a digital tranny gauge somewhere in mine, if I keep the AOD.
Mike

Mods for clock?

Reply #4
Rear view camera screen or built in radar detector LEDs and such.

Maintenance computer if you could tap into the mileage and hours.  Time for running and sitting.  I'm not sure what the formulas would be but could easily be figured out by using the maintenance charts.  You could make it look 80's by using the same type of display (but larger) and buttons but it would be like the maintenance reminders that started showing up in the Lincoln Marks.  You could scroll through coolant, oil, transmission, tire rotation, etc, etc.  The list is endless I guess but the maintenance chart in the manual would be a good start.  The display would probably need to take up most of the space with three or four buttons at the very bottom with maybe a very tastefully thin edge around the whole perimeter of the same black material used on the blank areas of the stock digital clock.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Mods for clock?

Reply #6
they have 4.3" lcd screens that you can wire up to rca, vga, hdmi, and will automatically switch to reverse camera when 12's is applied. (think reverse lights).

should basically fit in the same sized hole.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com