Skip to main content
Topic: 88 5.0 (Read 7722 times) previous topic - next topic

88 5.0

I took this today when going to get pictures of the pcv location. If I can find any other ones already on the computer, I'll edit this post.

Currently completely stock 5.0 with 180,000 miles with exception of a replacement TC wheel (got tired of the wheel melting on hot days)
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Re: 88 5.0

Reply #1
nice, verry clean. seeing all these clean cars makes me wish my paint was in better condition

Reply #2
oh, my paint is far from great condition. While I've sanded and resprayed the spots that had clearcoat starting to chip up, the paint's starting to show its age. For some reason, the roof of my car has gotten really bad over the last year. Areas are getting lighter in spots and I have no idea whats causing the sudden color change. It looks like its below the clearcoat and damaged from the sun, but I don't see what would make it damage so quickly. Plus, its ONLY appearing on the roof. The trunklid and hood are fine.

Nothing last forever though :)
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #3
mirror image of mine

lookin good

Reply #4
If you think your cars paint is bad, when sanding down mine to get rid of some rust I uncovered fron 2-4 layers of primer and spraypaint. Then I adde another layer on top of that :)

btw car looks great in the pic I would be lucky to find a car half its age in that condition around here, and those 8 holes look good on anything IMO
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #5
Looks good!  Exactly like mine except I have silver pinstripes and I have gray interior .  But mine even has right at 180,000 miles too!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

88 5.0

Reply #6
Not sure which pictures were up here (I'll try to dig them up), but here's the car as it sits before its second paint job. This was painted last August with urethane...the urethane didn't like to smooth out (whats worse than an orange's peel? Alligator skin?), so it was sanded down again and sprayed with Enamel. Now that the car's all one color, plan is to take it one panel at a time, and get it perfect. Paint hasn't been cut or buffed, but there's some type of small flaw on almost every panel so this summer it'll slowly get redone, starting from the front (Drivers side fender washiznit shortly after being painted. Typical, right?) where the largest problems exist.

Up to 213,000 miles now I believe. Trim and molding around the car is still off. I'd like to get the stuff off my old door and put on this one (old had its lock pried out), but I can't get the  trim off of it. Had it off years ago to repaint it flat black, but it won't come off again!

Finally, the first pictures I've taken of the car being black. I've procrastinated too long.

1988 Thunderbird Sport

88 5.0

Reply #7
One word: smooth.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

88 5.0

Reply #8
Only old picture I can find on here. The rear picture above makes me realize I need to try realigning the trunk lid again. The drivers side won't move down anymore though :(

Was the first time I washed it since it was painted...trying to hide the bashed-in fender with dirt! No polish/wax or anything though since it makes the flaws jump out and I don't feel like de-waxing the car again. Two weeks, 17 hours a day, of body work isn't fun. Whatever I can do to make it easier next time, I will.

1988 Thunderbird Sport

88 5.0

Reply #9
ah man i love how that looks without the trim!!!!! looks so clean and smooth
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

88 5.0

Reply #10
You are going to install the front and rear trim aren't you?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

88 5.0

Reply #11
It'll all be reinstalled after being repainted. I don't like dents any more than anyone else. For now, the holes are covered with the same tape thats been over them (from the inside) for the last 2 years (yes, two...one year in sealer, one in this paint).
1988 Thunderbird Sport

88 5.0

Reply #12
Wow!  was this one of the first posts on this forum ever?  heh

I like it a lot!  Makes me want to get my ass in gear and get my TC together.  Its black too :D
One 88

88 5.0

Reply #13
I want to try reupholstering the thing myself...it needs it. I figure practicing on a spare back seat would be a good start. That or I can just dye the seats black until I can get them reupholstered.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

88 5.0

Reply #14
I'm re-doing my car as well,and my trim pieces between the wheelwells will be gone as well.Only the trim from the bumper covers to the wheels will be installed.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..