Skip to main content
Topic: Shifting Points (Read 811 times) previous topic - next topic

Shifting Points

As of late my Cougar seems to be upshifting at higher RPMs that I thought it did last year.  Driving about 40 - it does not shift into OD - which I thought it did before, and the RPMs are around 2000, and when I lift off the gas a little is will upshift to OD.  When accelerating harder onto the highway, it will upshift to OD at about 60-65MPH. It upshifts at about 2200-2500 RPMs from 1st to 2nd to 3rd, I have a digital tach so kind of hard to tell exactly.  It upshifts a little hard when driving normally, but when accelerating harder, the shifts are a bit smoother.  I did have an issue with the TV cable last year, the bushing broke off, but I found the problem quickly and I do not think it was off the throttle linkage for long, and I adjusted the cable as per the intructions on the forum(attaching the cable back with no tension or slack). I checked the linkage, and it seems to be operating smoothly.  The tranmission was flushed and refilled last fall.  I have not driven the car for a while, so maybe it is just me.  It is a 5.0 - has about 32,000 miles.  Is this normal?