Skip to main content
Topic: Finding An Aluminum Driveshaft (Read 10015 times) previous topic - next topic

Finding An Aluminum Driveshaft

Hey guys,

I just found out a very useful bit of info that I wanted to share with you.  Not only do Aerostars and Crown Vic's with the Police Interceptor package have aluminum drive shafts. 4 door 2wd Explorers, some late model E-Series vans and late model F-Series trucks.  Late model extended cab Rangers have them too (standard cab Rangers reportedly have steel drive shafts).  That's good info to know.  That really widens your options of finding one.  I'm gonna head to the bone yards tomorrow and see if I can find another one.
William

Reply #1
I got mine from a Crown Vic cop car for free. Shortened and balanced, good to go. Total investment was about $138.00.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
All of my drive shaft searches end up with me having empty hands!
...and there was light!

Reply #3
I'm sure you're not alone.  The junk yards in my area either don't have any Crown Vice with the Police Interceptor package, or they do have one of those cars, but want way too much for the driveshaft.  Some places had a car and a good price, but the driveshaft was rented, or bent.  Knowing about 3 other types of vehicles that are suitable donors really increases your chances of finding one.
William

Reply #4
Quote from: vinnietbird;394999
I got mine from a Crown Vic cop car for free. Shortened and balanced, good to go. Total investment was about $138.00.

Luckily, I have a place that can shorten and balance one for me for $65.  I should be able to pick one up for $20 from a local yard tomorrow.
William

Reply #5
so here's a question?.. can the DS from a ford van be used, and shortened... they are all aluminum too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #6
They sure can.  You might have to use special u-joints to install your yokes on the driveshaft, but it IS doable.

I didn't know E Series vans had them too.  That's good to know.
William

Reply #7
I'll be ed!  I just went out and checked my '06 E-350 and IT has an aluminum driveshaft.  Well...  I'll definitely have to add E-Series vans to the list of candidates now.  Thanks Daminic for letting me know about that.
William

Reply #8
Here's a good tip for anyone who's looking for one of these driveshafts.  Use the pinion and slip yokes from the vehicle you take the driveshaft off of instead of your original yokes.  Our cars came from the factory with yokes that have a narrower spread between the uijoint loops than Crown Vics and Ford vans/trucks.  Crown Vics and Ford vans/trucks came with yokes that have a spread of 4 inches between the outside of the u-joint loops.  Some trucks have a wider spread than this, but most seem to have a spread of 4 inches.  Using yokes with a 4 inch spread will make your driveshaft stronger and will mean that you won't have to use special u-joints.  That's a win, win.
William

Reply #9
they all had aluminum DS's since 87
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #10
If that's the case, it will sure make my job at the junkyard easier tomorrow.  I measured the spread on my van's u-joint loops and they're 4 inches like I hoped.  There are quite a few vans at the junkyard.  :)
William

Reply #11
check the F series too
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #12
I'll do that and let you guys know what I find.
William

Reply #13
Jerry, there are adapter u-joints that will adapt the Cougar's (Or Thunderbird's) yoke and  to the larger driveshaft.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #14
The adapter u-joints should be avoided if you want the most strength.  My driveshaft shop told me that.  Considering simple physics, it makes sense too.
William