Skip to main content
Topic: Weight Loss Regime (Read 7202 times) previous topic - next topic

Weight Loss Regime

I'm putting my 88 Bird on a diet. I want it light as possible while still maintaining some comfort. From looking at the door tag my GVWR is 4448 lbs. I read somewhere that if you multiply 180lbs X (Max number of Passengers[5]) and then substract that from the GVWR you get an approximate weight of your vehicle. Now how much truth is in that I do not know, but it is my starting point of 3550 lbs. Also as I pulled parts off I weight them with a mere bathroom scale so these are just estimates.

Ok I'm restarting this program on my 87 TC (4350 GVWR/3450lbs approximate starting weight). I'll re-weigh the same parts if available and post those results in blue. Hopefully I'll be able to reproduce the 200lbs weight loss that I performed on the 88 TC.

Parts Removed

A/C System ~ 48lbs/34lbs
Fog Light Brackets ~ 5lbs/5lbs?
Rear End Dogbone ~ 10lbs/9lbs
Transmission Damper ~ 5lbs/5lbs
Trans Xmember Damper ~ ???*/4lbs
Rear Speakers ~ 1lbs
Door Speakers ~ ???*
Dash Speakers ~ under 1 lbs.
Stock Radio Deck ~ ???*
ABS Comp ~ 1lbs
PRC Comp ~ 1 lbs
Metal Bracket for Above Comps and All wiring ~ 15 lbs
Spare Tire ~ 31 lbs/31lbs
Mini Lug Wrench ~ 1 lbs/1lbs
Sound Deadening ~ 65 lbs/3lbs
Air Cleaner Assembly ~ 5 lbs/5lbs?
Center Console ~ 5 lbs
Power to Manual Seat ~ ???/16lbs
Vacuum Brake Conversion - 11lbs
Foot to Hand E-Brake ~ ???
3G Conversion ~ +2lbs
Plus One Size Wheel/Tire ~ ???
Hood Hinge w/Spring to HH w/Prop Rod conversion ~ 4lbs
Charcoal Canister ~ 2lbs
TC Dual Fans to Taurus Fan ~ 5lbs

Total Known Weight Loss: 203lbs/124lbs
Approx. Vehicle Weight: 3347 lbs/3326lbs

Any of the ??? with an (*) I don't know nor have the part anymore. If you know the approx. weight please fell free to let me know. Thanks.

Ideas of weight loss
-------------------------
Mini Starter (Ranger or Mustang)
Lighter Carpet
Smaller Battery (and relocate to trunk)
Aluminum Water Pump
Aluminum Radiator
Aluminum Driveshaft
Fiberglass Hood
Tubular K-Member
Tubular A-Arms (coilover conversion)
Single Exhaust (Log header, ler Delete, Exhaust Inserts)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This section I will use to keep up with various weights of different parts

TC Stock Electric Fan ~ 12lbs
 Taurus Fan ~ 7lbs
TC Hood w/Ducting for Intercooler ~ 49lbs
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Weight Loss Regime

Reply #1
You can lose a lot of weight in sound deadening. And if you get some of the aftermarket carpeting, it has a lighter pile. It looks good because its fresh, but its not as plush, and weighs less.
It's Gumby's fault.

Weight Loss Regime

Reply #2
Remove your carpet, get some dry ice and a hammer, freeze those squares of sound deadening all over the floor/sides of the car and whack them with a hammer. Theres a fair bit of weight there aswell, my guess is 20-25 pounds.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Weight Loss Regime

Reply #3
The total combined weight of all the A/C components is 48LBS.  Spare tire is about 10.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Weight Loss Regime

Reply #4
dry ice.... NOW i learn about that trick.  which car are you refering to for weight? 88 or 85?  well if you havent all the smog equipment is another thing to remove... if u do not need heater u could take that out lol

Weight Loss Regime

Reply #5
you could always pull the bumpers off of drill holes in them.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Weight Loss Regime

Reply #6
Quote from: the_intimidator03
dry ice.... NOW i learn about that trick. which car are you refering to for weight? 88 or 85? well if you havent all the smog equipment is another thing to remove... if u do not need heater u could take that out lol

The 88. And since I live I Michigan at the moment I may need that precious heat. :D

Weight Loss Regime

Reply #7
The snowflakes weigh 23.2 Lbs each, less tire, with center. The airbox is about 5 Lbs with bracket. Power seat tracks are a little over 35 Lbs each, I have some manual driver's side laying around I can weigh.

Weight Loss Regime

Reply #8
Quote from: Haystack
you could always pull the bumpers off of drill holes in them.

Heh, heh. Speed holes! Heh.
Resident "Idiot".

Formerly TBob5pt0 :shoothead

Quote from: JeremyB;165772
Repairing a lock cylinder that is frozen or sans keys requires a drill, gumption, and a midget on a tricycle.
Quote from: Big_D
Forgot to put on intake hose when starting the car, sucked neighbors cat into intake.

Weight Loss Regime

Reply #9
ah ok i didnt know where you lived... my theory is... if its cold bundle up if its too hot... shed n roll the ed window down lol.

Weight Loss Regime

Reply #10
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports
The snowflakes weigh 23.2 Lbs each, less tire, with center. The airbox is about 5 Lbs with bracket. Power seat tracks are a little over 35 Lbs each, I have some manual driver's side laying around I can weigh.

Hey if you know the weight of snowflakes w/tires that would be great. I'm pretty sure I gained some weight in that category. :D

Thanks for the other info too.

Weight Loss Regime

Reply #11
a t5 weighs alot less than an AOD too, aluminum cylinder heads are a weight saver also.

Weight Loss Regime

Reply #12
Just pulled the abs unit and it was 21 lbs. Anybody know the weight of the vacuum booster and master cylinder (aluminum)? Also switched over to the 3G and it is 2lbs heavier, more with all the heavy wiring I will need.

Weight Loss Regime

Reply #13
Did you count the factory regulator in the alt weight. it is part of the 3g. Also what about the wiring for the old style alernator. Have you got power windows or manual? if they are power get some doors with the manual windows.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Weight Loss Regime

Reply #14
In 88, the 2.3t came with an internal voltage regulator. The wiring is quite similar to the 3G, the plugs are the same, but the wires play musical chairs a bit. So the only other weight gain is were the heavier gauge wiring is needed... and I haven't gotten to that point yet. But I will include it. :)

I have power windows and honestly would rather keep them. LOL, I hated reaching across the car to roll up that window in my Stang. Actually, to be honest, I've never seen a TBird with manual windows.