Skip to main content
Topic: Every boys dream - The Viper (Read 4688 times) previous topic - next topic

Every boys dream - The Viper

So... I bought one.

Been my dream car for ever, don't know how many toy Vipers I had but more than I could count.
I don't know how many times I've heard the story of when he first saw a Viper, and how awesome they are.

So I've never driven one, I've never rode in one, hell I've never even sat in one until I went to look at this one.
Long story short, most of you know that I've been working abroad for 3 years.
Me and my first crush found eachother again and started a life together 1 year ago. I decided to quit working abroad because my company shaged me over in so many ways. Got a new job in a tiny company as Automation Engineer working with railroad power stations and water power plants (we deliver the control system).
I was looking for a house in which me and my girlfriend could settle in, then I found this car for sale for a very reasonable price.
My girlfriend was maybe a little bit sick and tired of my constant nagging about how the Vipers are the coolest cars in the universe, so she litteraly forced me to go check this one out by litteraly telling me that if I don't call the owner, she will.
She also knew that I would probably end up buying it and she more happy if I bought the Viper instead of buying a house for us.

So I bought it. The car I never thought I'd own, the car I never thought I'd afford.
And I bought it on my 24th birthday.
3 awesome birthdays in a row.
2 years ago I bought my dream watch, a Rolex GMT-Master II on my birthday.
1 year ago me and my girlfriend got together (9 days after my birthday to be exact).
And this year I bought a Viper.

I honestly can't believe it.
I've worked hard, saved money which I barely used and finally I'm using them!

Anyways, short story became quite long...

The car!
It's a 1998 Dodge Viper GTS.
Silver w/ blue stripes. Although I'm suspecting the stripes weren't there from factory but if they were, it would be 1 of 21 made. I'm still investigating this part.
36000km (around 25k? miles).
Mods: Belanger headers, Corsa exhaust w/ race cats, BBS split rims 18x10 front and 18x13 rear, smooth intake tubes and K&N air filter.
Just basic mods, how I like it.

Lets just go to the pics shall we?
Me, with the Viper the day I picked her up.

The most awesome hood ever made...
And it's quite a project just to open it :D

Funny, my friend picked up his Nissan Stagea he imported from puppiesan the same day. Awesome car, estate version of the R34 Skyline!

Those 335's in the rear are wide!

And finally, a little taste of what it sounds like.
Doesn't really sound like a tractor in real life like it does with the phone mic.
And yeah, it's really f'ing loud. But not obnoxious while driving in highway speeds.
https://www.facebook.com/tim.n.johansson/videos/g.256612461187658/10153993555971236/?type=2&theater

Anyways, just wanted to share my new ride!
The Thunderbird is on hold for now on. Sits quietly inside a barn. We'll see when I take her out again.

Reply #1
Awesome ride!!!

Reply #2
Quote from: Thunderbird88;455027
I honestly can't believe it.
I've worked hard, saved money which I barely used and finally I'm using them!

Believe it. It's not like hitting the lottery. You work hard, and you reap the fruits. Enjoy!
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #3
I have always liked the looks of the Viper as well. I painted my tbird viper red and my buddies cougar viper blue back in the day. Congrats on the purchase and enjoy the hell out of it.

Reply #4
Nice...ed nice. :)

Also, the SN95 isn't that big of a car...the Viper looks like a go kart next to it.

And coincidentally, a couple of weeks ago, a co-worker and I were on our lunch break, we saw a GTS cruise the lot....ed things are actually not all that big. Pretty much a shagy go kart with a hell of an engine.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #5
That's awesome. I'm with ya 100%, have always drooled over these since I was little.

Is this your first position as an engineer? I remember you mentioning that you were a crane operator/tech something like that but that was a couple years ago..?
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #6
Nice! Enjoy it!

So what no burnout pictures?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #7
Man Im jelly! Diggin the Viper! And your buddy has a neat Stagea too, sure he's seen the double unicorn build by Marty, Moog, Turbo Yoda, and Mechanical Stig
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

Reply #8
Nice Viper.  I once rode in a at that time new ACR Viper (early 00's), white with blue stripes IIRC.  It was Crazy rare, like of of 10 made or something.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #9
22,300 some odd miles.

I'm jealous.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #10
Quote from: CoogarXR;455029
Believe it. It's not like hitting the lottery. You work hard, and you reap the fruits. Enjoy!

Thank you, not all people understand that.
A few thinks I'm a douchebag for working hard and affording toys.

Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;455041
Nice...ed nice. :)

Also, the SN95 isn't that big of a car...the Viper looks like a go kart next to it.

And coincidentally, a couple of weeks ago, a co-worker and I were on our lunch break, we saw a GTS cruise the lot....ed things are actually not all that big. Pretty much a shagy go kart with a hell of an engine.

I also always thought that the SN95 was a small car. But it does weigh closer to 1800kg, so it's a heavy .
The GTS is a small car, but it's wide. Ridiculously wide.

Quote from: ZondaC12;455042
That's awesome. I'm with ya 100%, have always drooled over these since I was little.

Is this your first position as an engineer? I remember you mentioning that you were a crane operator/tech something like that but that was a couple years ago..?

I was a Comissioning Engineer over at ABB for almost 3 years. Now I've changed company to a very small one where I'm automation engineer, working with railroad power systems and water power plants.

Quote from: thunderjet302;455050
Nice! Enjoy it!

So what no burnout pictures?

Those 335's are expensive!
And I'm poor after buying the car...

Quote from: kylesburrell;455054
Man Im jelly! Diggin the Viper! And your buddy has a neat Stagea too, sure he's seen the double unicorn build by Marty, Moog, Turbo Yoda, and Mechanical Stig

The Stagea is a cool ride!

Quote from: 50tbrd88;455061
Nice Viper.  I once rode in a at that time new ACR Viper (early 00's), white with blue stripes IIRC.  It was Crazy rare, like of of 10 made or something.

I believe the ACR white/blue stripes is the one where they only made 3 of it.
So yeah, super rare!

Quote from: Haystack;455064
22,300 some odd miles.

I'm jealous.

That could be it! Basically nothing :)

Here are 3 pics from last weekend.
X
X
X