Skip to main content
Topic: My 1972 Comet GT (Read 16284 times) previous topic - next topic

My 1972 Comet GT

This has taken more time than I expected but assuming it isn't a motorcycle coming at me, I'm finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel...

As purchased two plus years ago...

It was already painted, fresh built C4, all new NOS glass, new carpet, headliner etc but engine was still in 1972...

After a couple afternoons, engine compartment looked like this...

After a couple weeks was good as new...

After a couple months it had all fresh suspension, steering and a '69 Torino disc brake conversion(no disc option on these cars till '74), was yet to repl that transmission cooler line...

About this time I took approx six months off, but after another month or so of actually working on  it I finally got the engine back in it and running(it still needs a custom set of plug wires made up)...

With the aluminum headed headed 306 the orig springs were too stiff, since this pict I've installed a set of 6cyl springs that has it the nose pointing forward instead of at the trees...

My 1972 Comet GT

Reply #1
Looks great :).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

My 1972 Comet GT

Reply #2
That's awesome!  My grandpa is restoring a 1974 Comet GT with 3 on the floor.  Very sweet car indeed.
'88 Thunderbird LX
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Engine:  FR B303 cam, GT40P heads w/ Trickflow valve springs, Explorer upper/lower intake, SR cold air intake w/ MAF
Exhaust:  shorty headers, BBK O-R X-pipe, glasspacks w/ turn downs
Misc:  8.8 rear, Saleen SC replicas 17x8/17x10, Mach 1 front springs/SN95 rear springs
&
'74 F100 Custom 351W

My 1972 Comet GT

Reply #3
It's got my attention .....for obvious reasons....:D  Well done.

Are you on the Maverick/Comet forum as well?
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

My 1972 Comet GT

Reply #4
Quote from: QUICKSHIFT;446138
It's got my attention .....for obvious reasons....:D  Well done.

Are you on the Maverick/Comet forum as well?

Yup I'm a regular...

Thanks guys didn't expect as much interest, so I'll toss in a few more picts...

Heres' one showing the Painless Wiring fuse box that powers the headlights(has the relay mod as well), the flectric fan, choke and Street Fire ignition system(was still running points when I got it)... The battery/solenoid harness was donated by a '96 Ranger a neighbor was junking, and the 2G alt was donated by my T-Bird, it got a 3G years ago, eventually the comet will as well.

The bottom side with new Torino brakes, other than the center link and inner tie rods from a '77, every piece of steering and suspension is new or rebuilt...

My 1972 Comet GT

Reply #5
Yes sir, that's tasty.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

My 1972 Comet GT

Reply #6
Nice!  I'm glad its still powered by a SBF and not some belly button LS swap.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

My 1972 Comet GT

Reply #7
X
Here's my grandfather's 1974 Comet GT.  Oxford White.
'88 Thunderbird LX
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Engine:  FR B303 cam, GT40P heads w/ Trickflow valve springs, Explorer upper/lower intake, SR cold air intake w/ MAF
Exhaust:  shorty headers, BBK O-R X-pipe, glasspacks w/ turn downs
Misc:  8.8 rear, Saleen SC replicas 17x8/17x10, Mach 1 front springs/SN95 rear springs
&
'74 F100 Custom 351W

My 1972 Comet GT

Reply #8
Quote from: GDawg148;446170

Here's my grandfather's 1974 Comet GT.  Oxford White.
Looks like he's gettin' there, has small bumper conversion... Is he planning on adding the stripe??

Mine has the duck tail Maverick Grabber spoiler added, these were not available on Comet... Also both bumpers were freshly rechromed when I got it, plus gas cap and tail lights are NOS...

My 1972 Comet GT

Reply #9
You still have that 69 428 Cobra Jet Fairlane?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

My 1972 Comet GT

Reply #10
Quote from: thunderjet302;446203
You still have that 69 428 Cobra Jet Fairlane?

Yep, want to do some work to it this spring, heater core is leaking, plus the front end needs work, planning on a total front end rebuild with the addition of P/S... Now that I've did same for Comet I know what the pitfalls are(many of the components sold in kits are junk)...

No recent picture I think you've seen this one before...

My 1972 Comet GT

Reply #11
^one of my favorite Ford's EVER.  You have quite the impressive stable!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

My 1972 Comet GT

Reply #12
Quote from: 50tbrd88;446217
^one of my favorite Ford's EVER.  You have quite the impressive stable!

LOL I've owned it a little while, always considered it a keeper from the day I brought it home in March '73...

Pict with 43 year old daughter & myself(gawd I was skinny)...

Seven year old(then) granddaughter taken at Aug '13 car show...

My 1972 Comet GT

Reply #13
Now that's the type of family heirloom I like!  Looks like you are teaching the grand daughter right!

My 1972 Comet GT

Reply #14
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;446205
Yep, want to do some work to it this spring, heater core is leaking, plus the front end needs work, planning on a total front end rebuild with the addition of P/S... Now that I've did same for Comet I know what the pitfalls are(many of the components sold in kits are junk)...

No recent picture I think you've seen this one before...

Nice to see you still have it. And for a long time as well. :)

If I'm not mistaken aren't the Fairlane/Torino based on a variation of the Falcon platform? If so the front end rebuild should be similar to the Maverick/Comet.