Skip to main content
Topic: General Motors (Read 5466 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: General Motors

Reply #30
Quote from: oldraven

Anyway. I think they may be catching on. This new Cobalt is a pretty good FWD platform, since it has so many Saab designs. I think the new Grand Prix is a nice vehicle though, which is why the Impala is still around I guess, to keep costs down.

They have already botched up the cobolt its a g6 twin now so there goes that.

Reply #31
Quote from: 20th anny 5.o
They have already botched up the cobolt its a g6 twin now so there goes that.

And that's bad because............... ? I think the G6 is a pretty  cool unit, for an economy car.

Reply #32
I just found out something interesting about the Solstice. People have been talking of a hi-po version for a while, but no proof has been seen until now. :D

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17690

240+hp in a 2800lb car. I imagine this will help Pontiac out a bit.

Reply #33
240+hp in a 2800lb car. I imagine this will help Pontiac out a bit.

IMO it depends on what the price tag is. If it's too high priced because GM has to cover the cost of medical and pensions then it might not sell at all.

Reply #34
A GNX could easily be pulled off, if it's put in the right hands at GM. Namely, Caddilac designers. Tell me you wouldn't kill to see that on the road.

Sorry but I wouldnt. It looks too much like the Cien and I thought it was ugly.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

Reply #35
I agree, as well.
Lose the Caddy styling on the grille and headlights/taillights, and give it something more Buickish, I'd even bite on it then!
GM needs to do something soon, and hopefully, the new Camaro is worlds better than the last version(s).
Hell, what do I know, that's why I'm building my car up the way I like it...
*(mumbles something about traction problems and tire purchases)*
 :hick:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #36
Quote from: 88FoxBird
Sorry but I wouldnt. It looks too much like the Cien and I thought it was ugly.

Well, it's based on the CTS, so I don't see the Cien in there at all. Agreed, it needs to look Buick, but Buick needs to revise its' look anyway.

But the grille? It's almost identical to the original GNX.

Anyway, I think the idea of a Grand National build on the Sigma platform would be a hot ticket for Buick.

The 177hp Solstice is selling for just under $20k. I can't see the addition of a turbo driving the price up more than 5, and that's assuming they do extensive suspension tuning, and engine management.

Reply #37
The thing you guys have got to realize is that vehcles like the F-body, that GNX photoshop, the GTO, and a possible Chevelle or Monte Carlo woud NOT save GM. These are all niche vehicles with limited markets and questionable profitability. The only thing that will save GM is if it comes up with a well engineered, mid-size, four-door family car that appeals to the masses. The company cannot rely on "car nuts" - in fact, it has done so or far too long now (face it, most of GM's sales come from GM fans and their families, very few come from "outsiders"). GM needs a car that will appeal to people that have ablsolutely no interest in cars and don't really care what the brand name is, so long as the car is modern, stylish, reliable and safe (not necessarily in that order). Toyota and Honda have stolen a HUGE percentage of the north american market by marketing towords non-car people. Your average mide-size four-door buyer simply wants a car. He/she does not care about heritage, brand names, etc. Yes, we like our Mustangs, F-bodies, etc, but we couldn't pay the bills at GM or Ford. The family truckster does that.

GM and Ford both have the unenviable position of having all of their eggs in one basket. For over a decade they neglected their car lines and fought things out on the truck/SUV market (and GM is still doing so, hence the RWD platform project cancellation/postponement). During that time their competitors kept their car lines updated, so a new Taurus (or GM mid size) looks and drives like a 15 year old Camry. And big surprise, the people stay away from them in favour of a NEW Camry. Now, the Asians have their car lines nearly perfected, so they're now starting to attack the domestics' truck lines as well. Of course you can bet your ass that their cars will not suffer for it.

GM and Ford are in big trouble. While it is not likely, it is also not inconceivable that GM could, indeed, fold under the weight of its problems. The few tidbits of good news from GM are nothing when compared to the constant spewing of bad news. Both companies not only need to change their entire lineup, they need to change their entire way of developing, producing and selling cars. The world has passed them, and unless they pull their heads from their asses, the world will leave them behind.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #38
And that's bad because............... ? I think the G6 is a pretty  cool unit, for an economy car.

The G6 is bland and uninspired like most of gm's line. Dare we bring up the debochle of the Aztek.

Reply #39
I heard yesterday from a GM buddy of mine that the camaro has been canned,not sure if he's right and i can't find any info on it but,it is possible with gm being so stupid latley.
If they were smart(which there not,reason i drive a ford)they would retro style the camaro/firebird just like the 67-69 and price them the same as the new stangs.
Now you know they won't do that,they may restyle them nicely if they do come out but they will be priced $10 000 over a stang as they have always been and it will hurt there sales big time.
As for the gnx,i have seen pics of it(not photoshopped) based on the gto platform with a turbo 6 pushing 450hp.
Looks sweet(wish i could find the pics).
Now working at chrysler,i will say there designers are A+ and the power ratings there comming out with take the cake over any manufactures right now.
Take the SRT-8 line of cars right now with 425hp magnum,300,charger and grand cherokee.
They all look sweet with there body kits,performance suspensions,embrodered seats and orange painted 6.1L hemi's.
Ford and gm need to wake the hell up and get with the retro names,stylings and hp ratings.

Reply #40
Quote from: dominator

Now working at chrysler,i will say there designers are A+

Sorry man just cant really get into any of chryslers models infact they missed the boat with the Charger in my own opinion as well as the magnum. Also they stuff that Hemi into what ever will fit it.

Reply #41
Also they stuff that Hemi into what ever will fit it.

Thats a problem?  Hell they did that in the sixties and now there doing it again.  If there ever was a high dollar muscle car its Hemi powered.  Thats what people remember and thats what they want (plus reliability) now that there retired.  Its working for Chrysler, and if some soccar mom doesn't want a HEMI she can get a v6.  If Daimler-Benz had never purchased Chrysler, dare I say Chrysler would be gone.  All this retro styling and these big motors come from Mercedes influince. 

Someone may get there hands on GM that brings them back and all that they stood for years ago.

More on the fact that GM steals sales from itself.  Just look the next time you drive somewhere, there is a buick, pontiac, olds and a chevy that all share the same chassis.  Seems like when one sells, another gets sold.

GM may pull themselfes out of the water if they sell so many cars that they still make profits with this discount they have going on.  It would be hard to fix but if they do they need to bring some fresh minds into the company.
One 88

Reply #42
Quote from: 20th anny 5.o
Sorry man just cant really get into any of chryslers models infact they missed the boat with the Charger in my own opinion as well as the magnum. Also they stuff that Hemi into what ever will fit it.

you may say that, but sales are more important than pleasing every single person

As for the gnx,i have seen pics of it(not photoshopped) based on the gto platform with a turbo 6 pushing 450hp.

actually, it was photoshopped, it floated around the internet for a good while before people realized it was a chop

a big problem that i see, is the lack of parts interchangability, back in the 80's, Chrysler had the K-car, and every car in the 80's was a K-car, it was a 2 door sports car, a 4 door sports car, 4 door luxury car, a mini-van, and just about every one of them had the turbo option, they were cheap, and were pretty decent cars

and every K-car used the same k-member, and the same rear suspension other than a few cars, many body parts interchanged, most of the interiors interchanged, and parts were cheap, it was a very cheap car to produce, and probably what saved chryslers ass
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #43
yeah chrysler is doing alot right. Their parts interchange the way that older ford such as ours do. Dodge is just go the safe way. useing the old fashoned way. They are just getting it right while everyone else is trying to take out puppiesan and the asian cars they are makeing cars the good old fashioned way. Minus being front wheel drive of course, but for the most part front wheel drive is better. easier install for the workers, less cost and better parts. A front wheel drive car is better for alot of people. It is better in rain snow even certain types of accidents. The down side is lanching power and the ability to drift easily. Honestly, no one cares about that. Thunder chicken had it all right. There was nothing else to say. They are makeing good average cars for good average people. They are the only ones that are listening to anybody exept the asian market. Everyone including ford is trying to beat the imports by makeing one. While dodge is makeing an average 4 door car into a better then asian sports car. The average person dosent want a rear wheel drive car. They want a small confertable car that gets good gas miliage.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #44
Quote from: Tbird232ci
Chrysler had the K-car, and every car in the 80's was a K-car, it was a 2 door sports car, a 4 door sports car, 4 door luxury car, a mini-van, and just about every one of them had the turbo option, they were cheap, and were pretty decent cars

and every K-car used the same k-member, and the same rear suspension other than a few cars, many body parts interchanged, most of the interiors interchanged, and parts were cheap, it was a very cheap car to produce, and probably what saved chryslers ass

The kcar saved dodges ass. Thank god for the guy the created the mustang.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com