Skip to main content
Topic: New Headlights (Read 1483 times) previous topic - next topic

New Headlights

Does anyone have a source for new '87 Cougar headlights?
dealer says no more, & can't find them aftermarket. The salvage yard ones around here are no better than mine.

New Headlights

Reply #1
Check 88-94 Lincoln Continentals, they use the same lights.

New Headlights

Reply #2
You can also email ebay@aachenauto.com
I just bought a left-side headlight (I asked for clear clean near-perfect condition) - I made them an offer of $50 plus $10 S&H and it was accepted. I will let you know what I end up getting from them.

CFF

New Headlights

Reply #3
Thanks.  I ended up buying a set of '94 Continental lights from cherry-auto.com. They were in really good shape, I'm more concerned about the reflectors than the lenses, but the set cost almost $200 shipped. As P. T. Barnum said................

New Headlights

Reply #4
As P. T. Barnum said................

Nobody makes headlights for the '87-'88 Cougar so they are really expensive if you can find them?
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

New Headlights

Reply #5
That sucks. There really needs to be something in place to address or at least try to prevent parts from becoming obsolete. Especially parts required by law. If there is, then pardon my ignorance.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

New Headlights

Reply #6
So far, Quad Shocks (rear horizontals), Seats, Headlights and the Steering Linkage have all been discontinued and unattainable from Lincoln-Mercury since I got my XR7 back in August 2005. and to replace an 18 year-old Quad Shock with ANOTHER 18-year Quad Shock seems like a totally shiznitty idea. We're just going to have to be more creative as the years go by.

New Headlights

Reply #7
Quote from: darkthunder
There really needs to be something in place to address or at least try to prevent parts from becoming obsolete.

Capitalism!

New Headlights

Reply #8
i got new headlights for my 84 bird at autozone. they are the same as the mustang, but that is for the 4 eyes and they have the junky huge halogens and you can get those anywhere.

I couldn't find the post quickly (at work didn't want to spend tooo much time looking) but I think someone here redid thier reflecor.. maybe it was fordsix.com.. can't remember.

New Headlights

Reply #9
Mustang's have the same quad shocks as an XR7:D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

New Headlights

Reply #10
I couldn't find the post quickly (at work didn't want to spend tooo much time looking) but I think someone here redid thier reflecor.. maybe it was fordsix.com.. can't remember.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I tried the aluminum tape. Still didn't feel safe after dark.

New Headlights

Reply #11
Thanks for the heads-up on the Quad Shocks!!
I think I will be putting together a list of some cross-compatible items for the other folks on this website - It won;t be extensive but it will hopefully help someone out there like you Brothas have helped me!!

New Headlights

Reply #12
Quote from: 87CougarDude
Thanks for the heads-up on the Quad Shocks!!
I think I will be putting together a list of some cross-compatible items for the other folks on this website - It won;t be extensive but it will hopefully help someone out there like you Brothas have helped me!!

http://www.coolcats.net/tech/reference/parts.html

Might save you some work.

New Headlights

Reply #13
I tried the aluminum tape. Still didn't feel safe after dark.
So go get yourself a vacuum chamber, some vaporized aluminum, some clear "overcoat", and do it properly. Shouldn't cost more than 50 or 60 grand for all the equipment, chemicals, permits and training. :D
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!