Skip to main content
Topic: 84 ford t-bird 302 5.0L (Read 1472 times) previous topic - next topic

84 ford t-bird 302 5.0L

hello everybody my name is t-bird i have a 1984 ford thunderbird with 302 5.0L V-8 i was wondering if that is a good car that ford made i like it it goes really fast so is the engine that is in the car is that a good one or can i put a real boss 302 in it is that possible :flip:

84 ford t-bird 302 5.0L

Reply #1
:mad:
One 88

84 ford t-bird 302 5.0L

Reply #2
Punctuation?

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

84 ford t-bird 302 5.0L

Reply #3
umm yup and yup and i think yup. was it 3 questions or 1 ?

84 ford t-bird 302 5.0L

Reply #4
it is already a 5.0 if thats what your asking. You can convert it over to a mustang spec engine. That would be 225 hp, vs the 130 or so it has now. Check out coolcats.net, and of course, use the search button.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

84 ford t-bird 302 5.0L

Reply #5
and a stock 84 5.0 isn't fast. I had one. BUT if you get some cash and install the right parts they deffinately can be.

now for the flame....

And um, like, ya know, like, there are, like, um, this thing, um called, like um, english. :P

it really is sad the MexCougar speaks better english then alot of the newer members coming to the board lately. hehehe.

ps. so no one gets all pissy, that was all in fun.

84 ford t-bird 302 5.0L

Reply #6
hahaha ! That`s a compliment to me !
1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

84 ford t-bird 302 5.0L

Reply #7
If we're going to start complaining about language, then I'll start pointing out every instance of what the Internet calls a Western Pennsylvanian "dialect", where they leave out half the words, like "the house needs painted", or "the bulb needs replaced", etc.

I guess those PA'ers were so poor they couldn't afford to buy the words that go in between, as in "the house needs TO BE painted". Reeeeeealy bugs the  out of me.  :mad:

Okay, I'm off to hijack some other post.  :raspberry
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

84 ford t-bird 302 5.0L

Reply #8
I live by Western Pennsylvania...you haven't lived until you've heard the Pittsburgh dialect in person:

"Y'ins gowon too da stor?"
Translation: "Are all of you going to the store?"

"Wal*Mart's up'air n'at."
Translation: "Wal*Mart is just over the hill."

"Em air Picksburg Stillers are good n'at."
Translation: "The Pittsburgh Steelers are a fine football team."

"I'm'own warsh da Bonvil."
Translation: "I'm going to wash the Bonneville."

It's like, a cross between hilljack and slang. Sad part is that I have relatives over there...n'at. ;)

84 ford t-bird 302 5.0L

Reply #9
Anyway dude...I found no offense to your writing style or your question, don't let it bug you. The 1984 motor is non-roller but actually has decent flowing factory heads. You could install a hotter cam and lifters, but the problem is that the compute could never compensate for them. And switching over to the newer 1986-88 SEFI computer system is costly and time-consuming. Which means, if you want a lot more performance out of your '84 engine, swapping to a carburetor will be the way to go. It's not that difficult of a changeover. But that will also take away any semblance of fuel economy too. Particularly in your situation, it's all a matter of give and take: how much performance do you want, or how much ease of drivability do you want? Finding the balance is the key. By going carb, you would be giving up a lot of what makes the car an easy daily driver. But you would gain performance which could be further enhanced in the future.

84 ford t-bird 302 5.0L

Reply #10
Quote from: EricCoolCats
Anyway dude...I found no offense to your writing style or your question, don't let it bug you. The 1984 motor is non-roller but actually has decent flowing factory heads. You could install a hotter cam and lifters, but the problem is that the compute could never compensate for them. And switching over to the newer 1986-88 SEFI computer system is costly and time-consuming. Which means, if you want a lot more performance out of your '84 engine, swapping to a carburetor will be the way to go. It's not that difficult of a changeover. But that will also take away any semblance of fuel economy too. Particularly in your situation, it's all a matter of give and take: how much performance do you want, or how much ease of drivability do you want? Finding the balance is the key. By going carb, you would be giving up a lot of what makes the car an easy daily driver. But you would gain performance which could be further enhanced in the future.

Nice post

84 ford t-bird 302 5.0L

Reply #11
Quote from: MasterBlaster
If we're going to start complaining about language, then I'll start pointing out every instance of what the Internet calls a Western Pennsylvanian "dialect", where they leave out half the words, like "the house needs painted", or "the bulb needs replaced", etc.

I guess those PA'ers were so poor they couldn't afford to buy the words that go in between, as in "the house needs TO BE painted". Reeeeeealy bugs the  out of me.  :mad:

Okay, I'm off to hijack some other post.  :raspberry

Maybe they mean "The house needs paintin", which sounds perfectly normal to me. :D

84 ford t-bird 302 5.0L

Reply #12
To reference the Boss 302 question, it's out of most people's financial boundaries.  I've seen an intake manifold go for $1600 used.  It's cheaper to build a Windsor 302/5.0 (what you have) up to the same power level.

84 ford t-bird 302 5.0L

Reply #13
A Boss 302 will produce more power but as Ifixyawata posted it is rather expensive and unfortunatley they are not as reliable.  My suggestion if you have a boss 302 put it in if not dont waste the money.

84 ford t-bird 302 5.0L

Reply #14
Quote from: t-bird85
A Boss 302 will produce more power but as Ifixyawata posted it is rather expensive and unfortunatley they are not as reliable.  My suggestion if you have a boss 302 put it in if not dont waste the money.

or drop in a 351 C. hehe.