Skip to main content
Topic: Daddy Daughter 86 Turbo Coupe (Read 3216 times) previous topic - next topic

Daddy Daughter 86 Turbo Coupe

This is my first Fox body, and T Bird...old girl friend had a T coupe, and I always loved them.  Really fond of the Glidden Pro Stock birds, so I have a vision.

My girls wanted Jr Dragsters, cost way to much money so we settled on a Drag ET/Street strip project...was looking for another Mustang to go along with my 67.  Really wanted a 75-78 Mustang, but this fell in our laps, and the girls thought the Turbo Coupe was way cooler than the Mustangs...so here we go.

Initial effort will be the Windsor Swap, and Mini Tub with 9 inch (because I can, and have a lot of 9 inch stuff laying around) and maybe some local cruises, and test n tune nights. 

I have tons of stuff from my 67 68 Mustangs.  I shifted my current 67 from a 393/Toploader to a 521/Jerico,  I was in the process of rebuilding 393, to a 408.  So I have this motor, Toploader and lots of 9 inch stuff to make this a budget build using leftovers in the shop.  I will probably will go C4 at the start, maybe clutch later.  Down the road maybe a turbo set up on the Windsor?

This maybe will keep the girls from harping on me to have my 67.  I built the 67 from from a wrecked drag car, initial intentions were to bump up the small block and just make it a nice little street car, that got out of hand.  The only thing I didn't do in it was shoot the exterior paint and machine work on the block and rotating assembly.  All done in my back yard shop.

So, who knows where this T coupe will go....I tend to get into a project and go a little over the top.

Reply #1
prudy darn cool!!

dont s stuff you end up tossing out,, save it and post it here F/S.

Reply #2
The stripping continues, or as the girls call it...plucking the bird.  Removed the E brakes, fuel lines and tank, motor n trans this weekend. Scored a set of race seats for 50 bucks (keeping the budget build theme in line).
My oldest, Hannah pulled her first Eng, she was proud. She also loved the Pomona Opening NHRA Race that had several segments on the man Bob Glidden, she is embracing the Bob Glidden theme, except she calls it "Budg" Glidden.
Gonna fab up some sub frame connectors next, then get busy with the K member, front suspension swap.

Jcassity, I am selling most I pull off...E brake was one..wouldn't have pulled it had it not been wanted. ditto with seats and console lid...still have the console shell if anyone wants it.

What I am on the fence now are Wire Harness and Rear...lots of wiring in this car, and it is heavy..thinking I may pull it and re wire with a basic AAW kit.

Rear end?  Its probably going the way of back half.

Reply #3
I remember my first engine pull...  i was 12.

Can't wait to see this car progress!

Reply #4
Got after the sub frame connectors. I'm sure there are other or better ways to do this, but I went with it. Butted the new rails against the rear boxes, and front rails butted against the large front seat crossmenber with the rail notched and tying into the original front sub frame. Then fabricated plates, sides and bottom to box them in.

The top of the rear original sub frames were not even closed in nor tied to the car, so I opened up that panel and went inside that U channel and welded pieces to that, then down onto the top of the sub frame rail.

Now just need to figure out best way to tie the floor pans back to the frame rail, from inside or underneath?  the welding on the orig frames was PITA, car had been under coated, and also the seam sealer kept blowing out from inside the original frame s.

Reply #5
Few more, that little tab ontop of the frame rail, cross member started out as a holder while I was positioning and tacking the rail...but decided it would be good extra re inforcement, so went back and really welded it down and added one to the other side.

Reply #6
Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Reply #7
XXXGot after the Bird this weekend, sold motor, ECU and wire harness for eng. Girls pulled all the electronics from under the hood.
I finished closing in the floor pans, PITA. Next time, I will cut the slots for the frame rails much tighter or cut onside and bent it back to re use.
Started fabricating the seat mounts, with dual positions so easily adjusted between the girls and my self.

Dug the 393 from under the bench, and started stripping it down for inspection, had to drill out those darn drain plugs.

Moving in, Gydyup

Reply #8
In what shape was the 393 in btw, Gydyup? Hopefully, it wasn't too rough.

Reply #9
Quote from: Macdowell;465334
In what shape was the 393 in btw, Gydyup? Hopefully, it wasn't too rough.
I have gotten a bit stalled on this, girls are busy with spring field hockey and orchestra, shooting..I am going full bore with early skeet season (competitive shooter) and trying to get my 67 Mustang prepped for some track hits. 
I got the seats all welded in and bolted, and its been sitting.
Gotta get back after it. The 393 came out of my 67, running really strong. Great little motor. I fogged the bores, backed off the rockers and wrapped it good so don't antite any issues with it other than finding not enough displacement?  Easy fix with a 408 or 418 kit.

Reply #10
Realized I haven't updated in a while. I picked up a deal on a set of seats locally. challenge was coming up with a way to mount them to bolt into stock holes for R&R if needed, clear through floor frame rails, fit me and my munchkins.
Once I cobbled up a design and got one done, it was easy...just figuring around the limitations and parameters for form and function was a challenge. Probably will upgrade to Kirky's later, but for now it gets it in the right direction.

Reply #11
Girls seem to like em and I can now get my Mustang out of the shop.