Skip to main content
Topic: On the fence. (Read 3016 times) previous topic - next topic

On the fence.

So these days, I'm at a better point in life to where I started planning on buying another toy. I still have my Trans Am, and love it, but have been looking to get into something different. If any of you know me, you will all know I have automotive A.D.D. My attention span is short, and I'm often directed by opportunity.

So one day, I was in my Scion heading to work, and I heard the unmistakable sound of a V10. Mind you, the area I live in is an odd blend of white trash and high rollers. I searched my mirrors and only saw a bit of the roof. The car finally passes me and I see that it was an Audi R8 with a V10. This sparked the desire for something a bit more unique. This sparked weeks of "Affordable Exotics" searches on Google and reading terrible articles and blog posts. Am I the only one that noticed that journalism and writing these days is just horrid? At this point, this is where my A.D.D got rolling.

So because of the distinctive sound of the R8, I started thinking of what car I could get to have that "Look at me" sound. Most V8 cars within the price range I was looking at sounded generic regardless of whatever exhaust you put on it. That brought me to a second generation Viper. I spend a few weeks digging and reading and honestly falling in love with the car. The cars end up being fairly affordable if you are able to get financing. Because of needing financing, I intended on paying off my Scion before purchasing a Viper. This actually led to the turn-off for me. Now that the Viper is discontinued, the values are projected to go up roughly 50% by the time that I'm ready to purchase.

Another car I was digging into was the Lotus Esprit. The Twin Turbo V8 cars made pretty good power, and had a unique sound that I was looking for. The 5-speed transmission was really the weakest link in the car, which I wasn't overly concerned with. The fit and finish of the car is...mediocre at best, being as it is a Lotus, but man is it a good looking car. With any car I intend on buying, I start to look at auto parts sites including Rock Auto. The issue I ran into was that there was so little parts availability. Once you found parts, the costs were outrageous. If I recall correctly, a front brake job, without calipers, would still cost roughly 1000 bucks. It's an affordable car to buy, but not to own.

After the sticker shock of the Esprit, I started digging into the Exige. In all honesty, the Exige is a car I really want. They are a bit of a hardcore car. Parts are obtainable, and relatively affordable. There is a large aftermarket, and a lot of performance to be had. The community is very active and helpful. It is honestly what I want in a car. The problem lies in the fact that I have to wait until the Scion is paid off, and finance another car. My lack of patience, automotice A.D.D. and not wanting to add much more to my debt means that I'll likely not get the Exige.

So the pace of this story changes a little bit here. While I not only have automotive A.D.D., I have a bit of hobby A.D.D. in general. I took a bit of a break from researching and shopping for cars, and dug into some other hobbies. I also started getting working on the Trans Am since I've had parts for it sitting for years. It was a well needed break because I started feeling that I needed to make a decision. It's almost when you're dating, and you're talking to a few people, and they all start trying to force you to make a choice. It makes you not want anything.

Last week, I was BS'ing with a good friend of mine over Facebook. He has a first generation Neon with an SRT4 swap. He was talking about purchasing a Turbo, and I reminded him that I offered him a hybrid that I have had for a few years that required a rebuild. He declined for something else he already had a lead on, but then said "You should get another TC". What I failed to mention was earlier that day, I was thinking about a TC and what I would like to do with one on my ride to work. On my lunch break, I decided to search for Turbo Coupes on eBay and other various sites. I eventually found on within a few hours of me for 2500 bucks. It had one picture and a bunch of parts to go with it. Unfortunately, the owner hasn't responded to me as of yet.

So for the moment, I am passively looking for a TC. I'm not sure if I will buy one right away, or hold off for something very specific, but that's where I'm at...for the moment.
It's Gumby's fault.

On the fence.

Reply #1
That was a pretty long story with an obvious ending.

If ya give up on a turbo, i have 3 5.0 cars. Tons of good csrs have been for sale near me locally as well.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

On the fence.

Reply #3
Lexus LFA?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

On the fence.

Reply #4
Quote from: Haystack;462264
That was a pretty long story with an obvious ending.

If ya give up on a turbo, i have 3 5.0 cars. Tons of good csrs have been for sale near me locally as well.

Of course the ending would be obvious considering that I posted it here. :mullet:

I'm digging for a TC so I don't have to hunt for all the TC body panels, interior, etc etc. I do intend on keeping the 2.3L, but I also have a donor DOHC 4.6 car if the itch hits.

Quote from: thunderjet302;462266
This is cheaper: https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/d/83-mercury-cougar-sale-or/6242594172.html

It's been for sale locally since January of this year.

I appreciate the looking out, but man that is a boring ass car. While I like the 4 eye cars, I've never had the desire to own one. I'm sticking with the 87-88 TC since it's where my heart's at.

Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;462273
Lexus LFA?

I never really did like that car all that much. It's a neat car, but I can find better ways to spend 340k...like buying my house.
It's Gumby's fault.

On the fence.

Reply #5
Do it.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

On the fence.

Reply #6
Quote from: Loaded87IROC;462276
Do it.

Find me one.
It's Gumby's fault.

On the fence.

Reply #7
Check the "tbird/cougar parts or cars FOR SALE" on the forum here!
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

On the fence.

Reply #8
Quote from: kylesburrell;462279
Check the "tbird/cougar parts or cars FOR SALE" on the forum here!

I certainly have. Along with checking turboford and NATO. There hadn't been much that appeals to me. Sadly, most of the cars need way too much work or needs things that are nearly impossible to find these days.

I may not be familiar here, but I'm not a rookie here. The for sale still was the first place I looked. Lol
It's Gumby's fault.

On the fence.

Reply #10
As much as i like turbo coupes, they seem to be getting a bit more expensive if they are in any decent shape.

https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/3949230?ad_cid=16

$6500 for a 5 speed with 73k.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

On the fence.

Reply #11

The journey from R8 to TC is exactly why I posted the story. Also goes to show how bad my A.D.D. can be.

I registered to the forum and am going to send a PM shortly. As awesome as a deal that car is, I'm concerned about its condition, and then transporting it.

Quote from: Haystack;462304
As much as i like turbo coupes, they seem to be getting a bit more expensive if they are in any decent shape.

https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/3949230?ad_cid=16

$6500 for a 5 speed with 73k.

Honestly, I'm fine with them getting expensive. You almost have to look at it like you've paid someone to maintain it for this long. With the ways cars got sped and junked during the cash for clunkers , it's amazing people held onto some of these cars. I think it makes it worth the money to an extent.
It's Gumby's fault.

On the fence.

Reply #12
Quote from: Tbird232ci;462305
I registered to the forum and am going to send a PM shortly. As awesome as a deal that car is, I'm concerned about its condition, and then transporting it.
And I lied. There is a 24 hour waiting period, and then I have to be approved  to PM.
It's Gumby's fault.

On the fence.

Reply #13
Quote from: Tbird232ci;462306
And I lied. There is a 24 hour waiting period, and then I have to be approved  to PM.

No worries, I sent the guy a PM for you; I've got a reputation to uphold :evilgrin:

Trim is glossy, tails are nice. Needs headlights, but they all do at this point. If the underside looks at all equivelent to the outside pics, the car is a steal. Plus it already has some mods, and it is black like your old one. Do eeeeeit!!
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

On the fence.

Reply #14
Quote from: gumby;462308
No worries, I sent the guy a PM for you; I've got a reputation to uphold :evilgrin:

Trim is glossy, tails are nice. Needs headlights, but they all do at this point. If the underside looks at all equivelent to the outside pics, the car is a steal. Plus it already has some mods, and it is black like your old one. Do eeeeeit!!

Don't worry, that reputation will never be forgotten.
It's Gumby's fault.