Skip to main content
Topic: Why do I feel like I should buy this as an investment LOL ('88 TC) (Read 1689 times) previous topic - next topic

Why do I feel like I should buy this as an investment LOL ('88 TC)

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/cto/6026248220.html

Well-preserved, stock, and with all of the day-it-was-dealt stuff. Wondering what the hell that hood ornament is...but that would probably be a minor bodyshop fix while still preserving the rest of the paint on the header.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #1
LOL "investment". You crazy :hick:.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
Very nice car! Can't go wrong if you're in the market. I'm in if it were Twilight Blue!

Reply #3
Quote from: thunderjet302;459926
LOL "investment". You crazy :hick:.

Curious, you don't think there's any future gain in these cars?

Reply #4
honestly these cars have a pretty bleak future
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum

Reply #5
Quote from: Fearnot;459929
Maybe in 25-30 years, I'll likely be taking the dirt nap...

Reply #6
Quote from: Fearnot;459929

Nope. You can buy a really nice 58-66 Thunderbird for  $12-15k. The 67 and up cars for less. The only Thunderbirds worth money are the 55-57 cars and 62-63 M code (390 6bbl) cars. I don't expect even low mile, mint 83-88 cars to be worth more than $7-10k tops.

I keep sinking money into my Thunderbird because I like it, not because I'm betting it'll be worth money in the future. I don't plan on selling the car so, to me, it's just keeping it around and enjoyable for future use. I never expected to get any sort of return on my "investment" in my car. It's just money I throw away on my hobby and enjoying life.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #7
Quote from: thunderjet302;459934
I keep sinking money into my Thunderbird because I like it, not because I'm betting it'll be worth money in the future. I don't plan on selling the car so, to me, it's just keeping it around and enjoyable for future use. I never expected to get any sort of return on my "investment" in my car. It's just money I throw away on my hobby and enjoying life.

Very well stated

Go Fast the first time.  The tickets the same.
86 Thunderbird 5.0.  All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
86 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather driver.  Tbird Reg # 58555
87 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather daily driver.  Tbird Reg # 64647

Reply #8
Quote from: thunderjet302;459934

I feel the same way about my '86 XR-7.  I just love to drive it!!
1986 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Turbo-charged 5-speed.
Owned 22 years.

Reply #9
There may be a small exception for the Turbo Coupes & turbo XR7 with 5-speed, but the plain jane 3.8 cars are nothing but parts sources... Auto versions won't have nearly the value and 5-speed swaps won't help much as it's easy to determine pedigree from a Marti report... They'll have to be original, unmolested examples and in excellent condition...  Unfortunately these vehicles are not Muscle or Pony cars...

Speaking of Muscle cars, a dealer offered me $4000 for my Cobra Jet(slightly over it's orig window sticker price) -- That was in 1978, I paid $1500 for it five years earlier... Of course we were in the dark days of performance, mfgrs scrambling just to meet emissions, high HP vehicles were nonexistent... Nice muscle cars were already gaining value...

Reply #10
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;459944
There may be a small exception for the Turbo Coupes & turbo XR7 with 5-speed, but the plain jane 3.8 cars are nothing but parts sources... Auto versions won't have nearly the value and 5-speed swaps won't help much as it's easy to determine pedigree from a Marti report... They'll have to be original, unmolested examples and in excellent condition...  Unfortunately these vehicles are not Muscle or Pony cars...

3.8s are parts sources? :mad:

Haha. I fall into the I like 'em 'cause I like 'em boat. My 3.8 will never be worth much, especially since I've modified it. Honestly, I wouldn't want to own a stock turbo T-bird/Cougar as molding the clay to your vision is what I enjoy. Just wish it was a little easier to due a-la Moosetang.

Reply #11
Quote from: JeremyB;459947
Honestly, I wouldn't want to own a stock turbo T-bird/Cougar as molding the clay to your vision is what I enjoy. Just wish it was a little easier to due a-la Moosetang.
In case you ain't noticed my TC ain't exactly stock... Also I've never parted a 3.8(the TC & 5.0 cars both get check marks in that box), for that matter I've never owned a 3.8 either...

Reply #12
If it wasn't clear, I completely agree with your previous post.

Reply #13
lol. NO car is an investment.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #14
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;459959
lol. NO car is an investment.

Never say never...I wish I would have bought a Ford GT in 2005.
tbirdregistry.com