Skip to main content
Topic: GM's new "City Car" (Read 5215 times) previous topic - next topic

GM's new "City Car"

GM is working with Segway to develop this electric car.

GM's new "City Car"

Reply #1
There are actually three different concepts, and they are evolutions of the very similar concept they debuted last year at, I think, the NYAS. These were designed for a world expo in Shanghai, so taken in that context, it makes a lot more sense. With billions of people living in city centres there, and in many other large and rapidly growing markets in the East, something needs to be done to shrink their new favourite modes of transport (going from scooters to cars has made already severe congestion a national nightmare) and reduce street level emissions.

Pod cars are awesome! I think they're the ultimate solution for civic transport. Obviously trains make more sense, but for those who enjoy moving around in their own rig, and not waiting at stops, this is going to be the future of motoring in overpopulated cities.

For people who think this is a waste of resources, consider the fact that GM is investing in markets that have already taken the #1 spot and continue to grow. Those markets also are perfect candidates for Pods, considering the issues I stated earlier. I have to think this is a much smarter use of funds and R&D than redesigning BOF truck based SUV's every five years, when those units have a very clear future of fading into oblivion. Right now, outside Asia, the only other companies working on Pods are Renault and Peugeot. Good for GM, finally looking at a massive market for the future.

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/03/24/gm-en-v-concept-futuristic-urban-transportation/

GM's new "City Car"

Reply #2
As long as they keep those off the freeway, they are a good idea.  If not there might be more of this: http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=27647

:rollin:
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

GM's new "City Car"

Reply #3
The Gee Whiz is already in use in the UK (mainly London) and is not a far cry from being a pod car.  The average speed anyone drives through London is estimated to be something like seven miles per hour, so little cars like these make sense for such areas. 

Would I drive one?  Eeeeehhhhhhhh....not unless I absolutely could not drive anything else.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

GM's new "City Car"

Reply #4
That's the thing about North America. Our transportation is based around highways and freeways. Cars like these don't make sense... yet. Maybe in another 25-30 years in cities like L.A. or New York. I think that's also why so many North Americans would consider them ugly. They're not designed for us.

This is a great quote in that article by Eric Loveday.

"Do they look as fun to drive as a Porsche Cayman? No, but driving a Porsche Cayman in a congested city center isn't all that much fun anyway."

I just got a 'London vs. Porsche' flashback.:rollin:

GM's new "City Car"

Reply #5
Wait, this was a serious post? I thought you were kidding...
2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

GM's new "City Car"

Reply #6
You may think it is a joke, but the Gee Whiz pays for itself within the first 12 months of ownership due to the taxes you'd have to pay to drive a "normal" car in London's city center.  They tax them to death over there to drive, park, or do pretty much anything with a car in the middle of the city.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

GM's new "City Car"

Reply #7
I certainly wouldn't want to be in one of these and have it get hit by a REAL car ;-(    I guess if everyone was driving them, it might not be bad but, throw just one '57 Chevy in the mix and somebody's liable to get hurt (and it won't be the guy in the Chevy!)
1986 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Turbo-charged 5-speed.
Owned 22 years.

GM's new "City Car"

Reply #8
Quote from: jkirchman;315779
You may think it is a joke, but the Gee Whiz is genetically selected for survival and pays for itself within the first 12 months of being loanded to you due to the taxes your forced to pay to drive a "normal" car anywhere in england.  They tax them to death over there to drive, park, or do pretty much anything with a car anywhere.

fixed:D
yep,, sounds like utopia:toilet:

GM's new "City Car"

Reply #9
Funny how everyone uses the "I wouldn't want to be in an accident in one of these" argument against small cars, yet motorcycles are becoming more and more popular...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

GM's new "City Car"

Reply #10
I hope they make it so we have to drive them here......

I would be the healthiest guy around, because I would be walking everywhere :hick:
Fox-less at the moment

GM's new "City Car"

Reply #11
Quote from: hypostang;315791
I hope they make it so we have to drive them here......

I would be the healthiest guy around, because I would be walking everywhere :hick:

:rollin::rollin::rollin::rollin::rollin:

...now where did I put my bicycle?.....
1986 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Turbo-charged 5-speed.
Owned 22 years.

GM's new "City Car"

Reply #12
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;315790
Funny how everyone uses the "I wouldn't want to be in an accident in one of these" argument against small cars, yet motorcycles are becoming more and more popular...

They also don't realise that these are intended for use in areas where you can't reach speeds above 10-15 miles and hour. Also, assuming most didn't read the article, just looked at the pictures, they are designed to work on a smart road, where the car drives itself. Where every car drives itself. All of the cars know where the others are, and speed up/slow down depending on those other cars on the road. That means no accidents and no traffic jams. When the day comes where you see a smart road in a city centre, you will not be allowed to drive a conventional car in those areas. People visiting the city can cab it (in another Smart Pod), walk, or take the train. NEVER INTENDED FOR HIGHWAY USE! You would never see one of these driving next to a '57 Chevy.

GM's new "City Car"

Reply #13
The future you just described seems somehow....depressing...
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

GM's new "City Car"

Reply #14
Imagine trying to drive your car around down-town Shanghai today. It's depressing anyway. Be comforted by the fact that this will most likely NEVER happen in the vast majority of North America. By the time that happens, only a quarter of our cars will still exist, and they will be driven about as often as a curved-dash Olds would be now.