Skip to main content
Topic: Digital speedo 199mph mod. (Read 3816 times) previous topic - next topic

Digital speedo 199mph mod.

Has anyone on here tried to do it? I saw it on coolcats and was wondering if it's that easy and if there are any side effects caused by doing it.

Reply #1
I did it to my DD about two years ago. It was a little harder than it seems, you almost have to burn the coating off the circuit board with the soldering iron and then try to solder it, at least in my case I did. Other than that, its been working fine since. Although, with a stock 5.0 I don't test it very often. :(

Reply #2
i totally disagree,, nothing personal.

its very easy.

the taking out / putting back in of the cluster is the part that might fog up the perception that its hard.

Reply #3
jcassity is right - the hardest part is actually removing and reinstalling the cluster in the car. The actual mod itself is easy.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
I also agree that it is very easy to do. I personally have done two the worst part was when I implanted the little pins in my finger :(

Reply #5
I've done it to three of my cars including my current one and now I can do it in 15 minutes flat. 1 tip is to replace all of the bulbs wile you have it out. Don't bother with the halogen bulbs, just replace them with regular 194's.

The spedo mod doesn't work on the MN12 cars. for that car
i replaced the cluster with all buttstuffog gages and a 140MPH speedo.
FORD The Pacemaker of a CHEVY

Reply #6
Awsome, thanks for all the responces guys! I'm going to have to give it a shot.

Reply #7
Quote from: 1Bad88tbird;313651
Awsome, thanks for all the responces guys! I'm going to have to give it a shot.

You should. Maybe it was just me. The first time I did it, I tested it on a cluster I didn't care about, a full digital one because it wasn't from my car and it soldered right in. The second time on my cluster I had a couple of problems. That's what I was trying to explain. No biggie, it just wouldn't solder on both sides for me. So i had to fight with it a little.

Reply #8
Agreed... easy and works perfectly!
===85BIRD===
:birdsmily:

Reply #9
I've done it 3 times.Wicked easy.I wish I had digi gauges now and not these friggin' buttstuffog gauges.If i did,I'd do the mod again and call it a day.Use small solder,and a sharp tip on the soldering iron.The dots to solder on are tiny.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #10
What gauge wire do you use as a jumper ?
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #11
I don't know what gauge it was.....tiny.LOL.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #12
Quote from: vinnietbird;313741
I don't know what gauge it was.....tiny.LOL.

I'll stop by the electrical supply store and ask for a "tiny gauge wire "
 :rollin:
 I just bought a full digital cluster to have as a spare  and I think I might try this mod just to see if I can pull it off
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #13
Well guys, I went ahead and pulled out my instrument cluster and decided to go for it. I never tore a cluster down that far before. The most I've done to one was open it up to disconect the gear select cable, and that was at a junk yard. So I was a little suprised when I saw I had to actually open up the speedo and the disconect the wires on the inside. I was able to figure it out though. I'm also not the best at soldering so I hope it holds. I'm not sure of the gage of the wire, it was just a s piece I cut from a radio power wire, it's a little stiff but hopefully it'll be okay. I sould be able to get it back in the dash tomarrow but it'll probably be a while before I get to test it out, I usually wait until most of the salt and sinders are washed off the road to take it out. Of course we're expecting alot of rain this weekend so I might get to try it next week some time, I'm anxious to see if it'll work.

Thanks again guys for all the responces!!

Reply #14
Wouldn't you know, I put the inst. cluster back in and got the shifter indicater hooked up (mine is column shifted), and was trying to get it lined up correctly with the numbers and letters and I snapped it! Everything was going so good with it until then. Luckily I have 3 spares on hand but it sucks I have to pull the cluster back out to hook the new one up. Hopefully I don't break it! I'll try to play with it again tomarrow as long as Sharrie doesn't have other plans.