Skip to main content
Topic: Comp shuts off, when idle. (Read 3080 times) previous topic - next topic

Comp shuts off, when idle.

I'm building a comp for a friend, not my first. If you use it it won't shut down, not even a hiccup. walk away 10 maybe 15 minutes it's off. I sat and waited over an hour doing nothing to it and it wouldn't shut off, so I don't know yet if there is a warning before it shuts off.
I replaced 3 psu's, 2 video cards, known good memory, 3 different operating systems, 2 motherboards, 3 different hard drives. all power shut down options are off. I did try about 4 more cpu's that I have but couldn't get them to boot, they could be shot, had them for years. I also tried to run the bios screen to see if it shut down and it did. I'm at a lost on this, except maybe a known good cpu. Any Ideas, I may have missed.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #1
Power supply problem maybe?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2
I don't think so, have a good old one that I had at first in it then replaced it with a new one. The only thing I couldn't change is the cpu. Yet. got one coming.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #3
Hibernation mode??

Reply #4
It's probably the CPU then. I had a weird situation like that once when I had the store. shut down when it wanted, and rebooted when it wanted. Don't remember if it  wouldn't shut down though. anything is possible.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #5
Quote from: dominator;305146
Hibernation mode??

All settings are on never. It's not a normal shut down either, it's like someone pulled the plug.

Reply #6
Power supply.

Reply #7
Quote from: dominator;305204
Power supply.

I tried that, 3 of them. One of them is in the comp. I'm on on now.
That's what I would of thought first, Like I said  I'm thinking cpu.
This is almost like trying to figure a 302 out.

Reply #8
have you found what was going on?  mine is doing the same thing and I would like it to stop :(

Reply #9
Quote from: 88turbo;305801
have you found what was going on?  mine is doing the same thing and I would like it to stop :(
  Maybe testing it now, so far it's running over 4 hours, didn't do that before. could be 2 things. I changed the cpu 'but it still did it. I also ran it direct to a different outlet, without a extension cord. We will see.

Reply #10
28  hours and still going, I can't believe it was how I had it plugged in. But I don't have another answer.

Reply #11
All fixed! must of been how it was plugged in.

Reply #12
that gets the official...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #13
Still don't know why that outlet is the problem, Maybe because I have a blown florescent light,that's plugged in to it. it's a two t8 bulb light with one blown. I'm guessing. I built another one with all the parts I had playing the swap game for the basp00get, I'll fix the light and hook it to it again and see. I was puzzled for a while, now I'm curious.

Reply #14
My first question is was it on a surge protection strip? 

And Use a tester on that outlet to see if your getting 108 to 121 volts

Also those bulbs each could be from 10 - 32 watts..

BUT if it was because of those bulbs it would of turned off while at play then only on stand by..

Interesting, would have to test the bulbs and outlet.  And u better be a strip protector...
.: Lastest :.