Skip to main content
Topic: Door locks - diagram? (Read 554 times) previous topic - next topic

Door locks - diagram?

I have something keeping my passenger side door lock from popping all the way up but I can't find anything in the door that it would be hanging up on. Does any have have a linkage diagram for this? The lock in there now is a relatively low mileage one (compared to what came on mine) as it has been replaced before when the solenoid itself stopped working. IIRC, it mounts to the edge of the door and has some linkages that attach to the door handles and lock. Feeding my hand back there, I can't find anything out of the ordinary but it's also nearly impossible to see its layout, even with a mirror.

Yes, one more thing giving me issues. At least I found that some rattling I had that just started was the wires coming away from the door and banging around. I'll need new plastic pieces for attaching the harness again.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Door locks - diagram?

Reply #1
My P-side truck door did the same thing.  I found one of the mounts was broken, and the lock motor was moving up and down instead of moving the linkage.  I got creative with some zip ties, and it works again now.  It's a longer reach to the ones in the Bird doors, though.
:birdsmily:
(X2) '86 Thunderbird, 3.8L CFI, C5 Tranny

'92 F-150, 5.0L EFI (SD), M5OD Tranny, 3.08 Dif

'70 VW Beetle, 1780cc, twin Solex 43's.

Door locks - diagram?

Reply #2
I doubt the lock moved out of its mount that holds it onto the bracket but it could be somewhere else. If I remember right, the bracket has a round hole that fits over someone...and that gets riveted in place. I will try to check that. Perhaps the rivet broke like it did on my drivers side door earlier in the year/late last year.

I'll look at it tomorrow. My door's covered in sound dampening/deadening and it's a pain to get in there without getting all black from butyl rubber  again.
1988 Thunderbird Sport